Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2018, 07:27 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default Fuel Tank Restored

Finally finished restoring the fuel tank this weekend. I had left it out in the sun at my shop for a few weeks and there were no traces of gas fumes left. First I scrubbed it down good with detergent water and a wire brush, then used coarse steel wool and #220 sandpaper to hand sand off all the rust. I found a Rustoleum paint/primer combo that looked very much like the original steel when dry, so I gave the outside two coats. I did the same to the mounting straps and hand scrubbed the plastic shield with soap and water. A day to dry and it's ready for reinstallation.

Here are a couple of pics. Compare the top pic to the previous one I posted, what a difference. I was lucky there were almost no dents, just a few very small dings. This has got to make 0327 feel good after all these years.

Paint should be starting very soon. I'll visit her this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9090.JPG (78.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9088.JPG (88.8 KB, 22 views)
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:03 PM
chp1982 chp1982 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 926
Default

Nice job. That looks factory.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 AM
ssp5.0 ssp5.0 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 45
Default

Looks like a new tank, Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Wolfe1013's Avatar
Wolfe1013 Wolfe1013 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 376
Default

Looks great. Can you post a photo of the paint you used? Thanks.
__________________
1982 CHP Mustang Coupe, Unit # E870567 **SOLD to chp1982**
1988 Mustang 5.0 LX, Unit # HP 43 (Wyoming Highway Patrol)
1991 Ford Crown Victoria S (Brentwood, CA Police Dept/Cinema Vehicle Svcs)
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default

Thanks again everyone for the tips and suggestions. It helped a great deal. I took the tank back to the shop where 0327 is today. Below is a pic of it sitting on a stand behind 0327. Just need to glue the protective matting on the top and reinstall. I was hoping to do that today but we just didn't have the time.
My buddy who runs the shop has been super busy, so not much progress lately. But when I go back in to reinstall the tank I'll try to push him a little on the schedule.
I am in the SF Bay Area until Thursday; when I get home I'll post a pic of the primer/paint combo material brand I used.
When I think of how long these restorations take I remember a TV show where they had a yard full of rusting hulks and they'd go pick one out and restore it to sell. No matter what they picked it seemed like in two weeks they had it looking showroom new. And claimed they made a profit selling it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Tank and 0327.jpg (31.5 KB, 97 views)
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 AM
ssp5.0 ssp5.0 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 45
Default

That turned out great Steve!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default Paint Used for Fuel Tank

Here's a pic of the paint I used to restore the fuel tank. Rustoleum Satin Nickel, got it at Home Depot. It is both primer and paint. As I posted earlier, I took care to get all the dirt and grime off, then hand-sanded and steel-wooled all the rust off. Finally, I used sandpaper to rough up the surface to get good adhesion. Gave it two coats. Even my friend at the body shop said it looked good.

I just got the door glass channel rubber, so I'll take that in next week and see if we have time to reinstall the fuel tank. I'm hoping we make some good progress now, but I doubt it will be ready for the Ripon show in October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint Used for Gas tank.jpg (95.1 KB, 84 views)
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.