Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default 0327 Goes to the Shop

Today at 0900 0327 went into the shop for a thorough tune-up, smog check, and new rear wheel bearings. Which isn't news as I have been talking about it for the last few weeks. But it does have a story associated, that I think might be of amusement to SSP enthusiasts.

The car was checked in by one of the founders, who is close to retirement, and is somewhat a curmudgeon. All the personality of a fence post. Perhaps all the years of doing mundane, monotonous work on grocery-getters has dulled his senses and although he doesn't do the work any more, you'd think something out of the ordinary would get his attention, generate a spark of enthusiasm. Nope. He goes out to get the mileage and VIN for the shop order. 0327's interior is out and only the driver's seat is installed. I had told him at the start the veh. was in the process of being restored (so no comments about the interior or any other part are necessary).

He writes down the info, then says "You want to restore this thing?" "Yes", I replied. it's a former CHP patrol car. "So what?" he fires back, demonstrating complete lack of knowledge, understanding, and interest. 'There's an entire hobby devoted to restoring and collecting these cars" I informed him. " He shook his head, smiled slightly, then said "Well...congratulations" then shook his head some more. Too bad this guy doesn't own a tow yard full of SSPs and says to me "I just want them out of here".

Some people will never get it...and don't want to.

Meanwhile, I modified 0327's extender roof-mount antenna cable by removing the coax connector and replacing it with one compatible with the input jack to the Regency scanner.

The now-working CC1 and MPA2 and their new cable are waiting patiently to be installed once 0327 comes back from the shop.
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default It's the Little Things That are Most Annoying

0327 is in the shop sitting...waiting for a part...I registered it in California, as a historical vehicle, but even though it will be driven very seldom, California still requires that it pass the smog check. So the shop is going through everything and they find out that the Exhaust Manifold Heat Riser (pic below ATP 105012) has been modified, essentially removed, and it has to be replaced. That alone causes it to fail the smog check and there is no point continuing with anything else until that problem is solved. Should be no problem, right? Order one, a few days later it's in, install and move on.

Except that although many places online list the part, actually getting one is a challenge. They ordered one on eBay, two days later the seller refunded the money and said he didn't actually have the part. I've ordered one from a parts dealer online, but the best they can tell me is it ships from the manufacturer. No eta on when/if it might ship. So now it's on hold.

I can handle things like making wiring harnesses, troubleshooting the CC1 and MPA2, things that seem like real problems. But it is a simple little emissions-control part that brings the whole thing to a stopping point. A little vacuum-controlled valve that probably nobody ever knew or cared was in there. I looked at 0204 to see if it had one I could borrow. The same mod has been done to it so no go there. I am guessing perhaps over time this part, with it's butterfly valve in the center, gets sticky and stays closed and that causes problems so that's why they were modified by removing the butterfly valve and vacuum solenoid.

It's so annoying because I can't get 0327 to the differential or body shop (my friend's shop) that are 150 miles away until I get the registration completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATP 105012 Exhaust Manifold Heat Riser Valve.jpg (26.5 KB, 36 views)
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default

I've searched the Internet, there are two eBay listings, but they are the same seller and there is NO stock; the 10 available shown is an error. I've been in contact and they said they have been trying to take them down but eBay software keeps reposting. I have checked with Autoplicity, Summit Racing, Wrench Monkey, all of them. I even checked with the last manufacturer, ATP Automotive: nada.

I'm betting this is one of those parts that didn't fare well in service. Like most exhaust system components, over time rusted, seized up, and was removed completely or (like the ones I have) someone modified them by removing the butterfly valve and vacuum pot. In California, it will fail the smog check on a visual inspection just for that.

This part was used on a lot of Ford and Mercury products 81-86. I may have to go to a junkyard, crawl under some hulk in a puddle of oil, transmission fluid, and general putrefaction, then wrestle with two rusted, baked on nuts to remove one that's probably seized up anyway or just worn out. Then I can take it back to my shop, polish it up, unstick the valve/shaft, then the smog checker will be happy because it's there. This is my last resort.

I haven't gone to a junkyard for many years, but then I haven't gotten this deep into auto work since I was a teenager. Oh well, perhaps I can spin it into something good: Virtually going back in time and reliving youth...
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
NoDrama43's Avatar
NoDrama43 NoDrama43 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,043
Default

Steve is that a CA item only?

I have several early 5.0 motors that are complete with manifolds. I can check them to see if I have one on any of those motors.
__________________
Jim


for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

I think I have a couple extras also.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2017, 03:18 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I think I have a couple extras also.
I sure am in the market for one if you have one to sell. I found out today the company I ordered online from has no stock either and won't because the manufacturer has discontinued. These things are scarcer than hen's teeth, or a genuinely honest politician in Washington D.C.
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

If I have an extra, you can have it. I will try to get over there this weekend and take a look.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2017, 03:16 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras, N. CA
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Steve is that a CA item only?

I have several early 5.0 motors that are complete with manifolds. I can check them to see if I have one on any of those motors.
I don't know if it is CA only. It would be located at the end of the driver's side exhaust manifold, between the manifold and the exhaust pipe.
__________________
*******************************************
1982 CHP 0327
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.