|
|||||||
| Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
![]() Ripon EV Show - 2016 |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
I will surely bring it to Ripon this year, in whatever state it is in at the time. I've already talked with my high-school-age son and he wants to come too, to see all the cars.
I've been running 0327 as a daily driver all week, to put miles on it. To the store, to the bank, to the local Stop-and-Rob at 2 am for a twelvepack (just kidding about the last part). So it looks now like late next week it will go into the shop for tune-up and smog check. Today I put a new headlight switch in because the old one was intermittent. The key to it is pulling out the lights control knob and metal shaft; otherwise you cannot get the old switch out. I putzed around with it for an hour before I looked at the new switch and figured out the small spring-loaded pushbutton on the bottom is there for a reason; it's the locking pin release for the shaft.
__________________
******************************************* 1982 CHP 0327 |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
I never got around to installing that nos switch. Looks like maybe I did myself a favor!
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I was thinking about what you told me, that it can be a PITA. You can't see far enough under the dash, from any position, to see that shaft locking pin release button. So unless you know it's there, you'll never get that old switch out (without destroying the lower dash trim, that is, lol).
__________________
******************************************* 1982 CHP 0327 |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Today 0327 got the new dash speakers installed and the instrument cluster removed, renewed, and replaced.
The plan for the dash speakers is to connect them to the output of the Regency Scanner (working), which then will simulate radio traffic (I have no plans to try to get the two-way radio working). I also want to splice that output to the radio input of the CC1, fingers crossed, so it can go to the outside speaker. But at a minimum there will be simulated radio traffic inside the car. I took the instrument cluster out, then on my workbench took it apart, cleaned everything, polished the input connector contacts and the panel bulb contacts. I also removed 35 years of dust from it and the dash area where it mounts. Two bulbs were replaced. There is a fair amount of rust in some of these areas. When 0327 was in Washington State it apparently sat outside for extended periods and water got inside and stayed there. So many of those steel interior parts, under the dash, fasteners, support brackets, etc. were unprotected steel. chp1982 did a great job cleaning up mold and the carpet. As I take things apart and get deeper in I find rust. Everything is functional, and a lot of it you don't see when every thing is together, but I figure while it is apart it can be mitigated. I use a product called "CorrosionX". I use it on nuts and bolts that are rusted before I put them back together, or as a wipe down treatment of just about any metal surface that has small rust pits or just needs a polishing. I also put some on a Q-tip and dab it on rusted screw heads, washers, clips, just about anything that has been attacked by rust. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. It gives a nice patina, removes the rust color, and leaves a protective film. Got it on Amazon. Does a great job imo. Even for things I am not actually taking it apart, I use it just to make it look better. I have two pics below showing dash screws and clips before and after using this material. The light isn't very good as it is getting dark but you can see some difference.
__________________
******************************************* 1982 CHP 0327 |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Wow, you are taking your restoration very seriously with all the right details Steve and I admire that greatly. Keep the updates coming!
Thank goodness #3035 spent it's entire life in the dry CA Central Valley before I acquired it. While most of the interior was burned to a crisp, at least I never had to deal with a bit of interior (or exterior for that matter) rust. I never hooked up my dash speakers to the Regency scanner but sometimes wished that I had over the years as the output would have been louder than just that coming from the scanner itself. It really only mattered when I was on the road where I like to keep tabs on the car-to-car chatter concerning my presence out there. The output from the scanner itself is sufficient at shows and events to simulate radio traffic and I never hooked up my Micor broadcast radio as well. I always program my scanner for all the areas I plan to travel through when I'm in transit and make sure I have the local frequencies on when I'm showing. But I have to tell you I don't hear near the radio traffic these days as it seems more and more communications have moved over to the CAD system. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Today I installed the CC1 with the rebuilt output connector. Everything now works, from all of the lights to the PA system, outside speaker, and siren. After 30+ years...
I also connected the Regency M100 scanner output to the dash speakers and the CC1's "Radio" input. I had previously taken the dash speakers (4 Ohm) and added a resistor across the terminals to drop their impedance to 4 Ohms, which is what the Micor system wants. But since I will not be using the Micor, and instead using scanner output to simulate radio traffic, I needed an 8 ohm impedance because this is what the Regency output needs for a load. By connecting the dash speakers in series, it gives 8 Ohms. Perfect. It was awesome to hear the scanner output both from the dash speakers, and on the outside speaker. Next week 0327 goes in for tune-up, smog check, and some minor mechanicals.
__________________
******************************************* 1982 CHP 0327 |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|