|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Some of the shops that rebuild will also give you a warranty. That is if they are any good at what they do. Matt
__________________
2007 Mustang GT Fun loving 1988 5.0 Ranger! 1964 Fairlane 500 2 door post (GR350) |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm not going to attempt the tranny myself but even though I've never tried before, I have enough tools, equipment, and mechanic freinds that I probably could pull off the engine rebuild. I have always done most all my repairs myself but never went inside the engine... yet.
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'd go with the rebuild also.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Go with the rebuild. The difference in $$ is not worth you latter regretting not staying original if you are a purist or a numbers matching fanatic like most of us if we have an opportunity. Avoid the "What if" factor.
__________________
1985 CHP 8302 - 1992 CHP 9067 - 1986 FHP 0293 - 1986 LX 5.0 - 1993 Rome PD UNMRKD (Floyd Co., GA) - 1993 LX 5.0 - 2003 Mach1 http://s31.photobucket.com/user/jarhed123/library/?sort=2&page=1#/user/jarhed123/library/?sort=2&page=1&_suid=13957121463060810331252691418 8 |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
At 243k miles, the engine still runs strong with no smoke (I'm suprised myself). Thing is, it leaks at all the usual spots... valve covers, oil pan, and I think rear main as well. Not to bad but bad enough for me. I just don't want to go through the trouble of replacing just the seals to have something go wrong inside of it later.
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Believe me... I'm one of the matching fanatics as well but also a cheapskate which is why I have the delima.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
I too am in this dilema with 1993 CHP# 5305. I dont know if I should rebuild or buy a new shortblock.
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
I would always rebuild.. If you don't then the matching numbers goes away unless you keep the old engine and then you have something you have to store.
The cost to rebuild is not that bad. Yes it is easier to get a shortblock and slap the top end on it but it can be assebled wrong and you not have any realy idea of the quality of work from the engine builder you get the shortblock from. Good luck whatever you guys decide. Matt
__________________
2007 Mustang GT Fun loving 1988 5.0 Ranger! 1964 Fairlane 500 2 door post (GR350) |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
I too am a person who watches what I spend and how much I spend on things "Cheapskate". After all, most of us here are not well-to-do but when it comes to something that is very important to me I shop for the best price only on the item or thing that I want. In this case I would shop for the best price on a rebuild and not on the new engine. If you only focus on this option than you will not feel bad about the lower prices on the other option.
__________________
1985 CHP 8302 - 1992 CHP 9067 - 1986 FHP 0293 - 1986 LX 5.0 - 1993 Rome PD UNMRKD (Floyd Co., GA) - 1993 LX 5.0 - 2003 Mach1 http://s31.photobucket.com/user/jarhed123/library/?sort=2&page=1#/user/jarhed123/library/?sort=2&page=1&_suid=13957121463060810331252691418 8 |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
I know the engine block is stamped with the VIN #, is the tranny as well?
I always wanted to go the route of complete rebuild for years. The task now would be in finding shops that would do a decent job, especially a body shop thats not going to just do the old in & out. |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|