|
|||||||
| Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Welcome !
I agree with all of the above as well. Sounds to me it would be less expensive if you picked up a 90 - 92 or 93 5.0 even if it wasn't an SSP and go from there. Keep the CHP SSP stock and original. I feel keeping your CHP SSP as original as possible will make it worth more rather than changing it for a daily driver. It's less expensive to buy a car with most everything already on it for the driver. Also............ just a little advise from a retired CHP officer .....IF you are a CA resident living and working in CA, and you have your car registered in AZ, you are in violation of CA Vehicle Code 4152.5 VC - 4000.a VC. It can be a misdemeanor viloation of up to $1000.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail. You are required to register your vehicle within 20 days of gainful employment in the Sate of CA. If cited, DMV can and will go back as far as they can to find out when you entered CA and had the car in CA, and on top of the citation and court fees, will make you pay registration as far back as they find you were a CA resident. They use utility companies, employment, renter info, SS# work, Driver license etc., plus.... AZ DMV info on you. They can find out a lot of info on you fast. So.... my suggestion is to get your car registered in CA as soon as you can. AZ registration expired or not. Your car is over 25 years and does not require a smog check. Registration won't be much with the year of your car. Is it worth getting caught and paying the fees and fines ? NO !! It is easy for an officer to figure it out. They see you driving your car daily. One my follow you to your work or home one day. Make a call. Your employer says.. Oh he's been here for 5 years. BINGO.. you are done. You get a ticket in the mail. If you lie to DMV, they already have all of the info. They will stick it to you. trust me. Foreign registration was one of my assigned jobs in several of the offices I worked out of. We'd also cruise apartment complexes at night, write down all of the out of state plates we found and run them for owner's name, then run the name for CA drivers license. They usually send you a letter in the mail first. If you still do not register it, a CHP officer cites you. So, be aware. It will happen one day. Sorry for not so good news... BUT.... hate to see you get nailed and have some huge fines to pay. Keep up the photos ! Can you send a picture of the front bumper ? Is there a hole cut out in it on the driver side ? John
__________________
John 1992 CHP #E895201 |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Why would you think I'm breaking the law? Just becasue the reg tag is past due? I bought the car two years ago.
__________________
-SSP Alternative |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas. 2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor. The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals. So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme. It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases. So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question. Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable? There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California. Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs. I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old... I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why? The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on? I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades... They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade. I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction. I have mentioned, I would like to add things: Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment. I would also add the antennas, and wheels. If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang??? Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell? What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice??? When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car! This is not the best option coming from me. I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do. Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks. I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion? Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself. *Not happy*
__________________
-SSP Alternative |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Tyler, you were welcomed here by all after asking for opinions about your car. Nobody was disrespectful by calling you names (there are some Mustang forums where you would have been severely flamed). The members here just offered advice and suggestions, at your request. You may not agree with what they said, and you are entitled to listen or not. But you are mistaken when you say you have not been treated with respect.
__________________
Bill Jr. To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang! |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
I really don't like John10608's comment.
That's not a very warm welcome to a new member/first comment. There are some good comments. I don't like being told to sell it, if people think they can manipulate someone into giving them a good deal on a SSP they want... I don't think it's worth $1,800, maybe to someone who doesn’t know what they have. Like I said, I want to preserve the outside look. Yes, I do want to make it into a bit of a track car. I would like to go out to Willow Springs Raceway, with a white top Mustang and the rest black. Then when I arrive to the track, then apply a vinyl sticker over my driver door making it white with door decal. Then race the car on the track, maybe like a reenactment. Find a few other racers with 80s 90s cars and do some chases on the track. Then rip off the vinyl sticker and drive it home. I like the idea of getting 5 lug setup, it just makes these cars stop on dime. It brings the car to life, and gives it some feel. I know how to drive a car. One thing I know about drum brakes, if you get to a high speed and need to slow down fast, it will lock up every time and do some type of fish tail. I don't know what to say, I am just bummed out now.
__________________
-SSP Alternative |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Amazing.
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Of course it's your car and your choice how to use it, but think of it this way...the mission for this forum is "Dedicated to the protection, promotion, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Mustang." That means the membership here had a shared and common focus to that end. So if you're point of view is in fact that "the only completed restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals"...then you can see where that point of view would be in conflict and opposite with the masses of members on this forum. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but again keep that in mind and try not to take it too hard when others here take opposition to that and reflect a passionate view that is in keeping with the mission stated above.
__________________
Mike 1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114 1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641 http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/ |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
I actually understand everyones points of veiw... but think about this... look how many Shelby's were modded, raced hard and seriously, then restored back to stock years later... As long as the cars not hacked up (and plus he's already said he'd save all stock parts). I say it's still a SSP no matter how its built and can even be put restored to 100% correct anytime the current or future owner chooses ... Everyone seems to really enjoy the 85 or 86 CHP track car belonging to a member on here. I've got a ton of compliments on my 90 CHP. Any of these cars can be put back stock anytime. When I first joined back in 07 I also joined over on the other site. That being said what really sold me on this site was how helpful most of you were. Not so much over there... The more I learned the more I wanted to preseve. It's his choice, but no matter what it's still a SSP and one cool car. He could become a valuble member and help verify and save more SSP's... I caught a hard time about my username even though I hadn't raced in years. But I've helped verify a good many SSP's and saved a one of one (The Georgia Department of Revenue SSP ). If I'd been ran off those things would not have happened ... just my two cents...
__________________
Gathering; Collecting & Documenting GSP History... 1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41 1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP 1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29 1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
It is YOUR car. This site is a SSP Mustang police car restoration/ preservation site. There is a wealth of knowledge here re: correct SSP Mustang restoration. Most members here will want you to restore your car as close as possible to stock condition. This site does not have alot of information re:High Performance options for your car. I am aware of the way a stock mustang handles. My car has Griggs suspension installed. There website is www.griggsracing.com There is good reading there that explains the way Ford designed the suspension and how Griggs fixes the problems. I have owned my CHP for 25 years, and have it completely restored to 100% 1985 CHP except the running gear. You own a rare 1984 CHP. The 1984 cars are few and far between these days. Good luck with whatever your plans you have for your car.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office. 1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office. California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures. http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/ |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|