Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

If you are going to show it (which it sounds like you are), I would remove all of the decals, decal remnants, etc. etc. etc. and have them re-made on magnets. That way, you could mark up the car at shows, parades, etc. and it would look completely stock otherwise. The magnets you mentioned for the side stripes will scratch up the car (and be a PITA). I think it would be different if it weren't a daily-driver, but I figured you were going to be pulling all of that stuff anyway, especially since it's so new.

My .02.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Mike, I appreciate your input. Your earlier comment about "de-militarizing" the car may prove to be the best path forward. I will most likely remove most of the emergency lights to keep from drawing attention to the car on the road, and prevent any hassles with the Federales. I think it would be better to keep the car clutter-free in terms of police equipment, rather than need to put signs on the car that say it is NOT IN SERVICE.

Presently, all markings have been removed except the rocker stripe (which is now fully masked). I like your comment about having the lettered magnets be for display-only, and leaving the car unmarked. The 8" LeMans stripes are cracked and faded so badly that the silver almost looks white. I plan to re-do those stripes, and could easily do the rockers at the same time with a plain stripe in the same color as the new ones going over the car. Then I could have a magnet done for display purposes to replicate the TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT lettering. That's a really good suggestion, the more I think about it.
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

No prob. I figured you were going to have some work to do to put it back to stock.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM
MOstang's Avatar
MOstang MOstang is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 2,994
Default

It looks great Bill...attached is the photo I took of it at the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle show in August that's held in conjunction with the Woodward Dream Cruise. Did they strip off their Department emblems from the passenger side door? How'd they treat the inside when they pulled their radio and laptop assembly out? I'm kind of surprised they left all those lights, but then again alot of departments seem to get lazy taking the time to remove items. Enjoy!
__________________
Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM
GSPI GSPI is offline
...Gathering Parts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CLE
Posts: 659
Default

Crazy thing is that I remember that car from Gorno when I was working at Woodhaven Stamping! Cool to see the car out. Too bad it wasn't totally decommissioned when you got it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
It looks great Bill...attached is the photo I took of it at the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle show in August that's held in conjunction with the Woodward Dream Cruise. Did they strip off their Department emblems from the passenger side door? How'd they treat the inside when they pulled their radio and laptop assembly out? I'm kind of surprised they left all those lights, but then again alot of departments seem to get lazy taking the time to remove items. Enjoy!
Thanks Mike! I love that photograph.

They removed their emblem from the passenger door, and there is a very slight outline of it in the paint despite their efforts to buff out the door. The inside isn't too badly beat up. Here's the interior set-up they had while in-service:






They removed the laptop and mount, the radio, the radar unit on the dash, and the video system that was located where the factory radio once sat. I had an OEM Shaker 500 radio from Debbie's vert, so Jack put that in over the weekend (I assisted him! ) They left the controller for the light stick, which is located along the toggles by the shifter. The toggles work the LED's. The interior has holes and is banged up a bit, which I expected. I tossed the seat cover in the trunk during the first fill-up. They had added a vinyl strip where the seat was worn through, so something on the drivers' (plural - they had two officers assigned to the car) duty belt really trashed the seat.

In talking with the department prior to coming out there, they said that they would remove all of the equipment that they could re-use in another vehicle, but they didn't want to incur too much additional expense getting the car ready for sale. They felt more comfortable leaving the lights in the car knowing that I had another collector copcar. I sent them the link to my car in the Members' SSP Section, and that made them feel much better about selling me the Mustang. I am really happy with the purchase. I elected to have the transmission serviced, so it's still in the shop as of this morning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
Crazy thing is that I remember that car from Gorno when I was working at Woodhaven Stamping! Cool to see the car out. Too bad it wasn't totally decommissioned when you got it.
For the price (as compared to buying a privately-owned GT), I can't complain about having to work on it a bit.
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.