Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
John10608's Avatar
John10608 John10608 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 615
Default 1971 Dodge

I know the owner of this car. Matt, in Laguna Niguel. He lives next to my old Westminster CHP Graves partner.
I actually rode in this car both to and from Vegas from Laguna Niguel for the Mopar show at the Vegas race track in April of this year.

It is a 1971 Monaco. It didn't have the gun rack in it at that time. Matt DOES have a 1969 Polara he is going to restore. He helped my partner restore another 1969 polara which we also drove to Vegas this April.
( pictures attached ) I'm on the far left holding the shotgun lolol

The door emblems are not correct either. I believe the star is an original, but the lettering is not. It is repro and not correct. I remember because I applied the decals on my buddies 69 Polara the day before we left for the trip.

Matt did not want to do a complete restore on this car because the interior was in really good condition. Matt is a nice guy and has 3 or 4 CHP vehicles.
This one that he drives daily, and a 1988 or 89 Dodge pick-up commercial vehicle and a 69 Polara that needs restored.
Matt found my partner's 69 in S.F., it was green, but all there.

This is a picture of us right before we left on the trip. I found the shotgun and brought it down with me on the plane. Well.... it was IN the plane, not with me lol
It is not a Remington 870, it is a Stevens, but looks really close to an 870. Steve just wanted a look a like shotgun. I got it for $125.00, had to do a couple modifications of course but it looks really close. That is the same gun in these pictures Matt has posted on eBay. The blue corvette is my partner's car.

He posted this car a few months ago, but no takers. I see he has added a couple other things to the car and re posted it. The shotgun rack being one of them.
It's a really nice running car. Runs great and it is in really good condition.
We had a blast driving them to Vegas and back. Lots of looks, people taking pictures, but never got stopped once. We couldn't believe it.
It was a lot of fun !
That is the trip that made me look for my SSP. Steve found it for me in Orange County on Craigslist.

But, this car is in really good condition if someone is looking for one.
It wouldn't take too much to make it more original.
I attached a couple more pictures of the trip if you are interested.
Thanks
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4070042.jpg (39.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P4070039.jpg (67.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P4090083.jpg (57.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P4090075.jpg (70.4 KB, 34 views)
__________________
John
1992 CHP #E895201
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Rhino's Avatar
Rhino Rhino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 588
Default

Cool pics. I, for one, would love to see more of that trip!

I always have dug the 71-74 Mopars. Almost bought a 71 WSP Polara that was all there for $1K. I chickened out. Now I kick myself for not trying one out.

This could be a cool ride for someone. Hope it goes to a good home.
__________________
Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 AM
GSPI GSPI is offline
...Gathering Parts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CLE
Posts: 659
Default

It's always a good time with the big police sedans when you head to a show or event out of state...




...Al Capone's hideout along the Fox river in Illinois. Was interesting to see all the cruisers show up there for dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 AM
litsnsirn's Avatar
litsnsirn litsnsirn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Default

+1 on a Mercury here, I have been trying to put it back together for the past couple of years. I am trying to get some stuff mocked up and fabbed over the winter. For how many '69 CHP cars that seemed to have survived, it seems that hardly any '68's did. I had one that was a wreck, hoping to find enough of another car to make it back into whole one, but it was not to be.

Sam, if your dad has one, I could use pictures of some areas that are giving me problems. Having not been the one that disassembled the car, I am struggling with some of the reassembly.

Also could use some parts if anyone out west sees any 70's in yards...

__________________
1982 CHP 0366 Ford Mustang
1970 CHP 5698 Mercury Monterey
1968 CHP 3286 Dodge Polara(sold)

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM
GSPI GSPI is offline
...Gathering Parts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CLE
Posts: 659
Default

Doesn't look like there is too much further to go there actually. Decals, some hand lettering for the unit number, emergency equipment and you should be solid!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Rhino's Avatar
Rhino Rhino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 588
Default

Looks like EBay pulled it?
__________________
Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Looks like EBay pulled it?
Probably because it is a fully-marked police car. It looks like they have been cracking down lately.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.