Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 AM
CHP8336's Avatar
CHP8336 CHP8336 is offline
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rohnert Park Ca
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Wonder if springs out of a v6 car would be the smae as what my car needs( I have an 85 v6 convertible parts car).
I also wonder if my car had trim rings while inservice. There are the scarches in the wheels from trim rings. There is an inservice pic of an 82 on the chp restoration page on the main NET site.
No trim rings on your car Sam. The CHP did install trim rings on the 1985/1986 cars when they painted them and sold them.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 AM
GSPI GSPI is offline
...Gathering Parts
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CLE
Posts: 659
Default

Springs and spring rates are specific to vehicle type and vehicle equipment in most cases. Most basic cars in general might have springs that will physically fit into another but the spring rate would be wrong. The higher performance a car is, the more significant a spring rate is used to get the car to handle correctly with all of it's components and it can be complex when looking at this problem. Mostly, V6 and V8 car springs are rated different simply because the weight of the engines might be different.

So Reader's Digest version Sam is that you really need to find the specific springs for your car that were designed to be in your car.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Mustang Kid's Avatar
Mustang Kid Mustang Kid is offline
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 844
Default

Thanks Rich

So I would have to find springs and stuff off of an SSP? Could an 85 5.0 coupe be the same?
__________________

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Sam, the springs/shocks/struts for a 5.0L GT or LX hardtop are what you'll need. The spring rates for a convertible MAY be different.
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
93chipper's Avatar
93chipper 93chipper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 141
Default

or go to fox restoration and buy brand new springs, that way you have no wear on the springs or have to be concerned on the integrity of the springs i would also change out the ball joints since they are over 20 years old and it will save you a fender
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Mustang Kid's Avatar
Mustang Kid Mustang Kid is offline
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 844
Default

More I'm thinking, I think I will wait on the suspentsion until I have all the new stuff together. Otherwise if I get it all apart, it may be a while before I can get new parts so the car would just sit. I don't want that to happen while other stuff can be done.

Could some of the 85s have had a dual gun rack? If I can't find out where my car served, I think it would be cool to put in a dual rack (if they came in a mustang in 85). I would be making one from scratch( using my some of my dads aero chp racks as a template. Then I would need measure ments for the rack to dash mount)
__________________

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
mac88chp's Avatar
mac88chp mac88chp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Could some of the 85s have had a dual gun rack? If I can't find out where my car served, I think it would be cool to put in a dual rack (if they came in a mustang in 85). I would be making one from scratch( using my some of my dads aero chp racks as a template. Then I would need measure ments for the rack to dash mount)
No rifles were issued until 1989 so unless your car was still in service by then and been retrofitted (unlikely), it wouldn't have had a dual gun rack.
__________________
Michael
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
mac88chp's Avatar
mac88chp mac88chp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
No trim rings on your car Sam. The CHP did install trim rings on the 1985/1986 cars when they painted them and sold them.
Little embellishments like trim rings and pinstriping did show up on some, mostly PIO (public information officer), in-service units. This was especially true of the early cars when they were still quite the novelty, much less so on the later models.

Speaking of embellishments, I caught a dusey of one at a CHP event yesterday - simulated twin 50 cal. machine gun barrels protruding from the massive front winch bumper of a Dodge Ram MRE (commercial enforcement) unit!
__________________
Michael
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Mustang Kid's Avatar
Mustang Kid Mustang Kid is offline
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
No rifles were issued until 1989 so unless your car was still in service by then and been retrofitted (unlikely), it wouldn't have had a dual gun rack.
Thanks! Looks like my dads 90 will get the dual rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Little embellishments like trim rings and pinstriping did show up on some, mostly PIO (public information officer), in-service units. This was especially true of the early cars when they were still quite the novelty, much less so on the later models.

Speaking of embellishments, I caught a dusey of one at a CHP event yesterday - simulated twin 50 cal. machine gun barrels protruding from the massive front winch bumper of a Dodge Ram MRE (commercial enforcement) unit!
It is very possible that my car was a PIO car, or that it went to another agency (like the 91 camaro), as it went to a private owner in 98 (from what I can gather).
__________________

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Mustang Kid's Avatar
Mustang Kid Mustang Kid is offline
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 844
Default Lots-O-Work done

Did a lot of work on Casper this afternoon. Stripped the interior, removed bumpers, taillights, fenders, mouldings and trim. Gonna try and start body work tomorrow. Everything appears to be very straight with no rust to be found on the body. There are just a couple surface rust spots though.




No Rust!!




















__________________

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.