|
|||||||
| Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Sam, I won't be presumptuous and tell you or your dad what to do with his car, but if that were my car...
![]() ...I would consider only making a few changes to it. These cars are only original once, even if they are showing their age. I would clean the black X paint off the doors, and add the CHP logos and lettering back onto the doors and decklid (even if you had to repaint the doors white). Then you could look at adding the CHP equipment that it used to have, and call it done. That car as it sits is oozing with character!
__________________
Bill Jr. To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang! |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
I was thinking the same as you on this one, Bill.
__________________
Mike 1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114 1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641 http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/ |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Agree wholeheartedly. Tried to convince the third owner of the '92 EVOC to keep it original too but it fell on deaf ears. That car looks good today but would have been ever more desirable as a lightly preserved survivor...all it needed was door paint, decals, equipment and some new roll bar padding.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I want my dad to get the title issues fixed so we could possibly take the car like it is to the Ripon Show, dont think it will happen though, but my dad may bring (if we can go) "the last CHP Caprice #2080". I may try and convince my dad to leave the car alone and do what you guys suggested. I too think that the car would be more desirable and neat preserved like it is.
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Car wont go to Ripon this year. But the problem my dad sees with keeping the paint mostly like it is is that there are thousands of rock chips and the paint isn't very nice either(but it looks somewhat nice in the photos) and the door jambs have turned to flat black. Heres some pics of after I hand buffed the paint out(the hood was the worst and took like 15-20 min. to buff out).
Before buffing(ugly paint) ![]() ![]() Faded, non-cleared paint. ![]() After buffing ![]() Don't be fooled by the shiny paint...
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
To be honest, my SSP is in a lot worse shape than yours and it's original and yours looks a lot better than mine. I did bring it to a local mustang meet, guys kept coming to see it and was amazed to see how rough she is but pretty motor. So why not show yours as it is as it was retired and rolled into your ownership? You can always get a sign "restoration in process" on windshield then they wouldn't ask any silly questions based on its condition.
__________________
Michael J nicknamed as "MJ" ---------------------------------------------------- Owned 6 Fox Mustangs since 1998. Proud owner of the vehicles: 1989 Ocala FL SSP unmarked drug enforcement unit 1989 Mustang GT (5 speed conversion) 1990 FHP unit - SOLD 1991 Davie, FL SSP #142 - SOLD 2014 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thats a good idea, thanks
Doing somemore digging, I found a set of correct decklights for a mustang, so I set them in the car. I'm finding all the equipment little by little .Heres a photo I took with the webcam on my computer(as my dad left his camera at home).
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|