|
|||||||
| 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Maybe it was a 1 of 1 carrier-based, Federal test vehicle for high-seas enforcement??
I think someone discussed this before....that the bracket was for a wheel mounted there to measure braking distance (for actual testing).
__________________
Mike '82 SSP (Marketing Order) '83 Colorado State Patrol #202 '83 Texas DPS '85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422 '93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187 '93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363 |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hopefully the CHP Trooper who's a member here will have some insight on these.
__________________
Mike 1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114 1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641 http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/ |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
That last one looks like a home made tow hook. This type of hook could be used without crawling under the car to hook or unhook a strap or chain. Just what it looks like to this farmboy.
__________________
GARY 1993 Florida Highway Patrol #719 1990 Kentucky State Police #542 |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
I'm inclined to agree with the tow hook idea, the testing wheels are really suction mounted along the quarter panel or a door with maybe a trailer hitch attachment or strapped on. But let's see if there is a resident expert trooper member available to assist on this one.
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
I am pretty sure that my car has that extra steel in the floor pan. I will have to get over to the storage unit and take a look.
__________________
1982 CHP 0366 Ford Mustang 1970 CHP 5698 Mercury Monterey 1968 CHP 3286 Dodge Polara(sold) "You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
based upon this picture I don't think the "tow hook" would be very strong to pull alot of weight. Not much welded surface there, but possibly enough to pull a car out of a ditch etc.
Maybe a place to secure a rope for mountain rescue?? ![]() Hard to say. Maybe Steve can shed some light on this one.
__________________
Jim for the first time since 1998 there is only two left: 1984 Oregon SP unmarked 1986 Idaho SP |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hasn't it already been shown that the CHP added fifth wheel attachment brackets to some vehicles?
__________________
1982 CHP 0366 Ford Mustang 1970 CHP 5698 Mercury Monterey 1968 CHP 3286 Dodge Polara(sold) "You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hopefully this copy/paste works. My car does not have the reinforced floor pan nor the "tailhook." But I see a plate behind your bumper in that last photo that I'm not familiar with. Is that the bumper shock mount? I really haven't crawled around under the back end of my '82 yet.
http://specialservicemustang.net/for...2&d=1291910842 EDIT: Sorry, I just looked at that again and my photo doesn't show that area. It's still under the carpet. Guess I'll have to pull the carpet up tomorrow and look at the correct spot. I just don't remember seeing those spot welds and extra metal, though.
__________________
1982 CHP Mustang Coupe, Unit # E870567 **SOLD to chp1982** 1988 Mustang 5.0 LX, Unit # HP 43 (Wyoming Highway Patrol) 1991 Ford Crown Victoria S (Brentwood, CA Police Dept/Cinema Vehicle Svcs) 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP** 1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol) |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I would bet its a tow hook, and would be easy to atytach a tow strap to it. Crude but looks like it would work!! |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
here is the marti report for my 82.
__________________
Jim for the first time since 1998 there is only two left: 1984 Oregon SP unmarked 1986 Idaho SP |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|