Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM
NoDrama43's Avatar
NoDrama43 NoDrama43 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,043
Default

Glad the damage wasn't any worse or ended up in a fire. I would try to wet sand (gently) and buff the area first. If that doesn't work I would probably not paint the fender unless there is no other choice. Depending on how much it bugs you, it could possibly add to the originality (patina) of the car.
__________________
Jim


for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
ImEvil1's Avatar
ImEvil1 ImEvil1 is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,404
Default

+1 on the wet sand. I burned paint once with my high-speed buffer.....completely through the clear. After sanding, it was smooth as glass again and not as noticeable, although still a slight color difference.

Also glad you caught it.
__________________

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Andy Andy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Idazona
Posts: 1,086
Default

sorry to hear/see your Ooo Ooo
i have never connected the spotlights on my car
I know they work because i have tested them
and .....in the event i have to prove
they are not connected!
i can pull the wire out of where it's tucked in and say See.....
If the paint is not bubbled I would do a wax on wax off!
let us know how it comes out. I bet that cover smelled like
a thrift store in August.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try some polishing compound first to see how it does. If I'm not happy, then I'll try wet-sanding the area.

Since I am running the CHP equipment off the fuse block I installed, I think I'll take a suggestion and go under the hood to put a switch for the fuse block. That should fix me up I think.

Thanks again!

P.S. - And yes Andy, it smelled pretty bad when the cover was cooking
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM
MOstang's Avatar
MOstang MOstang is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 2,994
Default

Bill - Glad everyone is safe and it didn't turn out worse. I was thinking along the lines of Andy's suggestion below.
__________________
Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM
ssp91ssp's Avatar
ssp91ssp ssp91ssp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 751
Default

Bill,
Sorry to hear about the boo boo , glad it's not worse..
I think you may also be able to use a Clay Bar ? for the paint issue.
good luck with it ..

ssp91ssp
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.