Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM
FHP813's Avatar
FHP813 FHP813 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Floriduh
Posts: 1,569
Default

Man they really messed up those pillars. I can't believe what was under that bondo. Good thing they found that before it was painted and it popped out later.
__________________
Bernie

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01


Mustang Club of America member.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHP813 View Post
Man they really messed up those pillars. I can't believe what was under that bondo. Good thing they found that before it was painted and it popped out later.
I could see that slab of Bondo falling off from hitting a pothole on a highway and then going through the windshield of the car behind me. Scary!
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default Solid Metal Found!

After seeing so much body filler behind the passenger rear tire, I wasn't sure what the rest of the 1/4 panel would look like. The initial sanding showed putty all the way up to the door jam, but more effort revealed that there was in fact Ford steel under all that Bondo. The C-pillar and roof were slightly flexed from the accident, so that's why you see body filler there. Notice the 4-lug rear disc brakes...




This shot shows the car as it sits today. The roof is sanded, and the antenna hole was reopened. The driver's side 1/4 panel is being massaged around the area of the CHP whip antenna mount.




The removed body panels are being prepped for cut-in. New taillight lenses are enroute, which I will install into the light panels next week. A Ford NOS headlight header panel is enroute to replace the busted one behind the bumper cover. The old one had been damaged and very poorly repaired, so a new one was needed. New weatherstripping and doorchannel strips will be installed.

I decided to return the original window trim back to its polished state, however I will be straying from stock by painting the roof rail trim in body color. Dark colored 4-eyes just look too cluttered IMO when all the trim is left bright on the car. Below is a comparison that shows Marcos's car on the top (prior to restoring) with the bright roof rail trim, and Scott's car without it:




It's a subtle difference, but it reflects my personal taste. As a point of reference, my car when finished will look ALOT like Marcos's car at the top, with the spotlights and antennae. The most obvious difference between his car in the above photo and my car when done will be that I am keeping its non-original blacked-out 10-hole wheels because the car has the larger '87-up front brakes.

So that's all for now. I will post up more pictures next week...
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Defuniak Springs, FL
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I decided to return the original window trim back to its polished state, however I will be straying from stock by painting the roof rail trim in body color. Dark colored 4-eyes just look too cluttered IMO when all the trim is left bright on the car. Below is a comparison that shows Marcos's car on the top (prior to restoring) with the bright roof rail trim, and Scott's car without it

Great progress.

You're not really straying from stock just the year. The '86's roof trim is charcoal. This pic below is the best I could find to really see it.
http://www.specialservicemustang.net...HP/1986FHP.jpg

Do you plan on doing the moldings in charcoal?
__________________
Brian
1986 FHP 1742
1986 WSP 2761
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Great progress.

You're not really straying from stock just the year. The '86's roof trim is charcoal. This pic below is the best I could find to really see it.
http://www.specialservicemustang.net...HP/1986FHP.jpg

Do you plan on doing the moldings in charcoal?
I guess you'd call it that. I was figuring on a matte black finish for the rubber moldings, but charcoal is probably a better way to describe the color.

I'm getting REALLY stoked about getting this car back from the body shop. Once it's home, I'll peel the window tint, install the lights/antennae, replace the dash pad, speedo, carpet, headliner, package shelf, and install the new seats. The seats still need to be cleaned - the cloth is pretty dingey. I thought about contacting a local auto detail shop to see if they could professionally clean them up. I also have an Insignia (Best Buy in-house brand) radio/CD/Ipod unit for the dash. I bought that one mainly because the backlighting is orange like the dash lights. I picked up four new speakers right before Circuit City went outa business.
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
YellowMurci's Avatar
YellowMurci YellowMurci is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NyC!
Posts: 77
Default

where can I get pair of Unity lights for a CHP car? I would like the red and the clear - thank you guys!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMurci View Post
where can I get pair of Unity lights for a CHP car? I would like the red and the clear - thank you guys!
PM sent
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.