Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
texunter's Avatar
texunter texunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 289
Default

hey Matt, thanks for that great info. ! 1 of 100 huh? that makes it a little more rare i guess. as for the harness< that sounds like bad news as i dont have it. maybe at least the back half will be there. my experience is noone really pulls the rear harnesses. its probably impossible to duplicate. i live in argyle, tx. its south of denton a lil. how bout you?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
texunter's Avatar
texunter texunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 289
Default

now that i think of it, i read somewhere that the 88 ssp's were maf cars as the civilian 88' cars are speed density. that would explain the uniqu e wiring harness. thats even better if that is true. that justifies having mass air on an 88'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
mac88chp's Avatar
mac88chp mac88chp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texunter View Post
now that i think of it, i read somewhere that the 88 ssp's were maf cars as the civilian 88' cars are speed density. that would explain the unique wiring harness. thats even better if that is true. that justifies having mass air on an 88'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86NeSSP View Post
The 88 Civilian cars in California were mass air and the SSP's were all speed density.
Just a point of clarification here. Ford built the "49 State" '88 retail cars with speed density induction and all the retail '88s shipped to California were built with mass air.

But it's not so clear cut how the '88 SSPs were built. There are non-CA delivered SSPs that came with mass air and CA delivered SSPs that have speed density. The best theory out there so far is that this situation may have been caused by scheduling interaction between when CA cars and SSPs were produced. All SSPs were special order cars and their daily build numbers were limited so as not to slow the factory line down too much. They were individually slotted into the line among all the retail cars and it may have just been the luck of the draw as to what induction any particular SSP received depending on if it was built on a CA or non-CA production day.
__________________
Michael
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
1989 Tx DPS SSP's Avatar
1989 Tx DPS SSP 1989 Tx DPS SSP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston.Tx
Posts: 275
Default

If you look at the VIN info on .ORG you will see that it falls in line with everything. I use to own 252511 and regret selling it because it gone forever as the car I remember.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM
texunter's Avatar
texunter texunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 289
Default

wow, i just looked at the vin registry and it looks like the plate number on my car in service would have been 540-074 unit # m8-545?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
86NeSSP's Avatar
86NeSSP 86NeSSP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texunter View Post
hey Matt, thanks for that great info. ! 1 of 100 huh? that makes it a little more rare i guess. as for the harness< that sounds like bad news as i dont have it. maybe at least the back half will be there. my experience is noone really pulls the rear harnesses. its probably impossible to duplicate. i live in argyle, tx. its south of denton a lil. how bout you?
I'm in Katy Texas (West Houston suburb) Tom and Tony are in Houston and Roman is in Lufkin.

The harness is going to be part of the headlight harness as that is part of the alternator harness which is what is different.

The 88 Civilian cars in California were mass air and the SSP's were all speed density. Is this car missing the entire engine ECM harness?

Did Rick supply you with any under hood shots?
__________________
2007 Mustang GT
Fun loving 1988 5.0 Ranger!
1964 Fairlane 500 2 door post (GR350)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM
texunter's Avatar
texunter texunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 289
Default

thanks for the correction about the harness. I'm almost certain the headlight harness has been removed. I'm not familiar with Rick. who is he?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
texunter's Avatar
texunter texunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 289
Default

sorry, I missed the previous post. I have never spoken with rick, only his wife. she seemed to be good people. othewise I would have never bought the car sight unseen and not knowing who I'm dealing with. I do have pics of the engine compartment and there is no wiring. too bad huh? I hope you don't have hard feelings toward me for buying this car. I didn't mean to "take" it from anyone. I know there were several guys chomping at the bit to get this car. I just got lucky and was able to pay first. its in good hands though. I have an illness, its called Mustang obsesseditis. I cherish these cars and hate to see them taken for granted
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
28HopUp's Avatar
28HopUp 28HopUp is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,550
Default

Congrats on your new project! Although you haven't elaborated on your plans for the car, it's nice to see another one saved...
__________________
Bill Jr.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
86NeSSP's Avatar
86NeSSP 86NeSSP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texunter View Post
sorry, I missed the previous post. I have never spoken with rick, only his wife. she seemed to be good people. othewise I would have never bought the car sight unseen and not knowing who I'm dealing with. I do have pics of the engine compartment and there is no wiring. too bad huh? I hope you don't have hard feelings toward me for buying this car. I didn't mean to "take" it from anyone. I know there were several guys chomping at the bit to get this car. I just got lucky and was able to pay first. its in good hands though. I have an illness, its called Mustang obsesseditis. I cherish these cars and hate to see them taken for granted

Nope not taking it from ME... I don't have the $$$ right now or the space.. I just got rid of my 85 CHP to jarhed... Have had and sold a few Texas cars over the years. I have the same disease. I only have 3 mustang coupe 5.0 mustangs right now 2 SSP's and another that is not.

Yes, Rick and his wife are good people. They are local forum members to a car club as well as a Mustang club. southercreationz.net and westsidemustangs.com SSPSTANGDRIVER is his ID if you hit those sights...
__________________
2007 Mustang GT
Fun loving 1988 5.0 Ranger!
1964 Fairlane 500 2 door post (GR350)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.