Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Briefing Room (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ford to Unveil New Police Interceptor 3/12/2010 (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2529)

1jerryl 03-12-2010 11:50 PM

Actually they mentioned AWD and twin turbos. I am wondering about the reliability of those items. I agree with Mike, I think Chevrolet is going to be right back into the police car business. I dont believe the Impala is being discontinued, so they will have both flavors (FWD & RWD) to choose from. Dodge is also working on a updated Charger. I did find it interesting on the site, the mention of the CV being the car of choice after 1998. Considering GM had gotten out, I think they became the most popular be default. Michigan's annual vehicle tests should be interesting next year, especially if Carbon Motors enters the arena.



Jerry
91 X-CHP
#8990 (For Sale)

guerro 03-12-2010 11:50 PM

Not sure if this was a typo or not but I just read "18 inch vented disc brakes". 18 inch brakes???? not sure the steel wheels on this thing are even that big.

ImEvil1 05-12-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jerryl (Post 19006)
Actually they mentioned AWD and twin turbos. I am wondering about the reliability of those items. I agree with Mike, I think Chevrolet is going to be right back into the police car business. I dont believe the Impala is being discontinued, so they will have both flavors (FWD & RWD) to choose from. Dodge is also working on a updated Charger. I did find it interesting on the site, the mention of the CV being the car of choice after 1998. Considering GM had gotten out, I think they became the most popular be default. Michigan's annual vehicle tests should be interesting next year, especially if Carbon Motors enters the arena.



Jerry
91 X-CHP
#8990 (For Sale)

I had the pleasure of riding in one of our 500s yesterday. It has 80K miles on it, and the agent assigned to it is retiring this summer (he's past mandatory, and he didn't want to accept a new car) . The car hasn't been abused or used for regular LE work. He had it floored on the way up the freeway ramp and we were literally at 40mph. Apparently, the warning light for the "drivetrain", including AWD, has been coming on and off for awhile, and I'm not sure if it was in a "limp home" mode or what.

I know they lost the CVT and changed the engine line-up, but I can't see these cars lasting like the CV's do.

28HopUp 05-13-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 20255)
I know they lost the CVT and changed the engine line-up, but I can't see these cars lasting like the CV's do.

Mike, it'll be interesting to see how the new Taurus chassis and drivetrain stands up to police use. From what I've read, the new Police Interceptor is a totally different car than the 500 that it replaced. Only time will tell if the new PI will be as durable as the outgoing CVPI.

ImEvil1 05-13-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 20272)
Mike, it'll be interesting to see how the new Taurus chassis and drivetrain stands up to police use. From what I've read, the new Police Interceptor is a totally different car than the 500 that it replaced. Only time will tell if the new PI will be as durable as the outgoing CVPI.


Bill,

It's the same platform (D3) as the 500, and the rebadged "Taurus" 500 as well.

Here's an article from Popular Mechanics that discusses it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4322503

Quote:

One look at the sheet metal on the 2010 Taurus and it's difficult to imagine that this sedan is based on the same Volvo S80 platform as the previous Taurus and the Ford Five Hundred before that. The platform might be largely the same, but there are some important changes—and these end up transforming the character of this car. This is particularly impressive considering that this Taurus program was initially slated for the 2011 model year. Ford has pulled the program forward by one full year.

The police car is Taurus-based.

28HopUp 05-13-2010 01:14 PM

Thanks for the link Mike. I was told the new Taurus and the Lincoln MKS were a different chassis than the previous 500/Taurus. Thanks for clarifying that.

Still, the new Taurus sounds like it is a very different animal than the 500/Taurus (even in that article). I have yet to drive the new Taurus (which the PI will be based upon), but I'm hopeful that the new PI will be a suitable replacement for the CVPI.

NoDrama43 05-13-2010 04:38 PM

The prospect of switching to a front wheel drive cruiser is not one ANYBODY that I know is looking forward to. I am pushing for the Chargers or 2 wheel drive Tahoes for my agency. I think Ford is going to lose a huge chunk of the market with this bone headed move away from rear wheel drive.

It looks like I will be attending the MSP police car testing later this year to see how this car stands up against the competiton.

ImEvil1 05-13-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 20279)
Thanks for the link Mike. I was told the new Taurus and the Lincoln MKS were a different chassis than the previous 500/Taurus. Thanks for clarifying that.

Still, the new Taurus sounds like it is a very different animal than the 500/Taurus (even in that article). I have yet to drive the new Taurus (which the PI will be based upon), but I'm hopeful that the new PI will be a suitable replacement for the CVPI.


No prob.

I was hopeful before the announcement was made....

ImEvil1 05-13-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDrama43 (Post 20282)
The prospect of switching to a front wheel drive cruiser is not one ANYBODY that I know is looking forward to. I am pushing for the Chargers or 2 wheel drive Tahoes for my agency. I think Ford is going to lose a huge chunk of the market with this bone headed move away from rear wheel drive.

It looks like I will be attending the MSP police car testing later this year to see how this car stands up against the competiton.

Top speed and braking are great, but I think the durability factor is a big one. I think that they should add a curb-jumping event. :)

mustangretriever 05-15-2010 04:37 PM

I got a mini brochure in the mail from Ford on the new PI

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ever/Page1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ever/Page2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ever/Page3.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ever/Page4.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.