Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM

I went back and found the string of texts with the guy where I bought the dome light and ball antenna mount and he said they came off the white '89 CHP SSP that he had tried to save. Doesn't that look like an '89 in this pic?

Edit: I sent him this photo. Waiting for a response. He said the car was in the list of VINs that's on this site back when I first talked to him.
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
I went back and found the string of texts with the guy where I bought the dome light and ball antenna mount and he said they came off the white '89 CHP SSP that he had tried to save. Doesn't that look like an '89 in this pic?

Edit: I sent him this photo. Waiting for a response. He said the car was in the list of VINs that's on this site back when I first talked to him.
sweet! I'm surprised that paint scheme is not more popular on here. Maybe it is and I'm not seeing it, LOL. I I still had my 87 Poop coupe (white 4 banger converted to 5.0 with stock T5 for the banger and the 7.5 rearend and gorgeous red interior) I would contemplate a tribute car.
#200882 unit# M9166- SOLD
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM

lol I remember those FORD mustang posters in all of the classrooms at the academy when I went through in 1-83.

Some of those other pictures bring back memories of that time era also.
The older patrol cars. I remember those good ol' days !
I'll have to dig out some of my old patrol pictures. See what I have.

Thanks for the posting !
John
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
Look at all those new correct tires!!!

I got some parts off a white CHP SSP that was sold for scrap in the Denver area. Front end damage that was too severe to repair for the owner. Do we have a total number for the white ones? That one has a CB antenna, right? Looks that way on my phone.

Nice pics.

I'd sure like to take a ride with Mr. Peabody and bring a set of those tires back with me!

That white SMPV does indeed have a field installed CB. I had the scuff marks made by a similar mag mount antenna on the original paint on the deck lid of my car in that same location.

I've always wondered if that pictured SMPV was one of the originals from Motor Transport that came equipped with all the special low profile equipment and may have later been re-outfitted with the standard dual spots, decklights and low-band whip. Or did it start out as a convential B&W unit and that was just repainted all white? Too bad we can't see the interior set up to check for that lay down shotgun rack that the originals had.

It is known that the famous blue SMPV E435300 was eventually drilled for spots as the magnetic and corded spots that were originally provided ended up being deemed useless and that evaluation could have applied to the u/c antenna and low profile deck lights as well. But still I have a hunch this one may have been a simple repaint that pretty much turned it into the configuration that was used with all the later Mustang SMPVs (overall white paint, white spots and everything else that was standard Mustang issue). Would have probably even been done in the field to turn a regular unit into an instant SMPV. Would be nice to know what office that pic is from, my bet is somewhere in the Central Valley or inland Southern CA.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Michael, I tend to think that the above SMPV originally started out as a black & white. If you look closely at the lower left edge of the rear bumper, there appears to be white overspray on the gas tank cover (and maybe on the exhaust tip too). It could have also been in an accident at one point and the overspray came from the repair, but I doubt it. The equipment (other than the white spotlights) is consistent with it having started out as a B&W. If we only had a contact at Motor Transport who could search for this unit's Assignment Card, then we would know for sure. I will ask Robert if he could look for this card as well as the others I asked him about 2 weeks ago.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Michael, I tend to think that the above SMPV originally started out as a black & white. If you look closely at the lower left edge of the rear bumper, there appears to be white overspray on the gas tank cover (and maybe on the exhaust tip too). It could have also been in an accident at one point and the overspray came from the repair, but I doubt it. The equipment (other than the white spotlights) is consistent with it having started out as a B&W. If we only had a contact at Motor Transport who could search for this unit's Assignment Card, then we would know for sure. I will ask Robert if he could look for this card as well as the others I asked him about 2 weeks ago.
Getting that card would be great Bill, thanks for sending that one by Robert. Hard to know when the repaint occurred without more documentation. Right now the information we have is that ALL the SMPVs started life as B&W units, even the ones built from new cars at M/T as that is the only way they were ordered from the factory. It would be interesting if any documentation ever turns up that can show otherwise.
1988 CHP #3035

Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Just look at the door and the quarter panel, two different shades of white

You guys know that if you go to the CHP and ask about having access to the assignment cards and finding the ones for the Mustangs for documentation purposes, and if you get a letter of authorization, you can get what ever you want with out a problem. Robert would have to look for the cards, or a member in CA could go in with the letter.

I'll probably send you a PM, Bill, with more details. Admin Mike would have to get involved as well.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Getting that card would be great Bill, thanks for sending that one by Robert. Hard to know when the repaint occurred without more documentation. Right now the information we have is that ALL the SMPVs started life as B&W units, even the ones built from new cars at M/T as that is the only way they were ordered from the factory. It would be interesting if any documentation ever turns up that can show otherwise.
Thanks for clarifying that. I mis-read your earlier post and thought you were asking if this car had been a B&W or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
I'll probably send you a PM, Bill, with more details.
Please do.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:02 PM

FYI - I'll be at the Academy with John10608 for the better part of a day next month and may have some time to go next door and do research on the cards.
1988 CHP #3035

Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM

That SMPV is just a great looking vehicle hands down. I would really like to have one of those someday.

I love my NHP SSP