Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Motor finally pulled

Well, finally got the engine and trans out. Finished after dark, but I'll try and grab some pictures after work, tomorrow. Those have to be the easiest motor mounts that I have ever seen. The whole process was made more difficult, because my jack broke while it was holding the tailshaft up and the front end was up on jackstands. Had to drop the engine back into the mounts and reinstall the bolts and lift the car with the cherry picker, to remove the jack.

Some thoughts.

I was able to get the exhaust off intact, but since it will be a show car and no emissions will be required, is there a bolt on dual conversion that I can use that will not require any permanent modification to the car and doesn't look to un stock? If so can I just find a shorter belt and leave the air pump off? Is there a good way to preserve the stock exhaust. I have to say that the air pump to cat fitting is kind of shady, I wouldn't be surprised if that had been leaking.

How durable are the four speeds? Should I take it to a trans shop for a inspection teardown, while it is out of the car? (While I am thinking of it, clutch flywheel options?)

PS I'd forgotten how bad a pool of spilled gear lube could smell, good thing I parked the trailer over it.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 PM

For the dual exhaust conversion you'll have to find a double hump cross member. Also there is the muffler and tail brackets. It may not matter on the factory v-8 car with single exhaust, but later 4-cylinder cars with single exhaust converted to a v-8 there's brake lines that end up being close to the exhaust. That have to be swapped over.

I don't know anything about SROD trans, inspection wouldn't hurt but if it was fine before and you're not going to be beating on it. You may be wasting funds that could go to something else. You can have your old flywheel resurfaced. Probably all you can get clutch wise is stock replacement. They were 10-inch for that year can't remember when they went to the 11". Some of the other guys with '82's may be a better help.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Anyone know if there is a way to fish the turn signal sockets(front bumper) out without having to pull the front of the car off?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to fish the turn signal sockets(front bumper) out without having to pull the front of the car off?

Cut the wires and put them back together when they go back in??
Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 PM

That is what I finally decided to do today.

I found something interesting while poking around under the fenders after removing the inner liners. The speaker hole is cut on the passenger side, but the holes for the bracket in the frame and the fender are on the driver's side. The CHP must have swapped the front fascia sometime before they sold the car and not cared about the speaker hole.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM

As long as I am thinking of it. Does anyone know if there are any prebent brake line kits for the '82?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
As long as I am thinking of it. Does anyone know if there are any prebent brake line kits for the '82?
I've never seen any kits.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Is this what you need?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Admin

Nice find Bernie.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 AM

http://www.classictube.com/

I have talked to them, I can get the lines in stainless for about $40 or $50 more.
They will also to the fuel and return lines for $100 each and braided hoses to replace the stock rubber $39 each.