Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Default 1988 Pierce County Sheriff Dept #1310

1988 Pierce County SD SSP - Unit #1310

I figured I would also join the bandwagon and post up some pictures of my car as well. Always nice to see progress. Car is mostly good to go for shows, but needs some tweaks/finishing work. Always something to do.

This is one of roughly 18 cars that were sequenced in 1988 for Pierce County. We think there were 3-4 White K9 SSPs, 1 Blue LT car, 1 Silver LT car, and about 10 Cabernet Red traffic cars. Pierce County purged their records long ago - so the above is a best guess based on the info that we have been able to track down.

To date, there is one car still in-service with PCSD (#1308) - and is used as a promotional car about once a year at the Puyallup Fair - used as a recuiting display.

Robert King owns Red Traffic car #1301
David Burnett in Australia owns the Blue LT car #1317
I own 2 red traffic cars: #1304 and #1310 (EDIT: sold this one to Buddy in 2012)
Curtis Lee owns a red traffic car #1302
#1307 was posted on here in late 2010 - found in Denver and likely scrapped (was a roller when we found it)

Robert and I are not 100% sure, but we believe (via CarFax tracking) we have likely traced down all of the known privately held cars. Most have been off the road since the early 90s. Who knows...maybe there is another one hiding out there.

Here's what my car looked like the very first time I saw it. Was owned by a guy who had "pimped it out" with dubs, a bangin' system, etc. He was using it as his cruiser:

Here I am standing behind the car chatting with the owner thinking (If only we could put you back to normal).

I got my chance about 1.5 years later. Robert found the car through CL locally. He looked at it and had to pass on it due to timing. While I didn't need another SSP, I liked the cabernet color and thought it would be a fun car to bring back. And being a native to Pierce County - it just felt right.

Here it is the day I bought it:

Rims were gone, beats were gone. But got a nicely jacked up suspension, dead alternator and a sweet air freshener glued to the dash to cover the equipment cabling holes.

Last edited by 28HopUp; 11-20-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: updated info on #1310 and #1317
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM

The roof had a really poor bondo job done on it, and was really cracked. I ended up having it completely stripped down to metal, and then repaired.

Hard to see - but the cracking on the roof was massive!

Roof stripped:

That pile of dust there against the wall - used to be my roof bondo:

Once finished - looks good now:
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 PM

With the help of Robert, took a set of good WSP 10 holes and repainted them to a newer coat of black. And then masked the car to paint the mouldings back to black as well:

Wheels:

Moulding Prep:

Paint going on (Robert manning the can):

Finished look:
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Found the correct Unity H10300 dual light spotlight and installed it along with a Jetsonic, Unitrol 480K, GE S550 control head + radio, rollbar, etc.

Decals were recreated based off of measurements from Robert's car (where you could still see the clearcoat outlines), and from images that we gathered from photos over the years. Orange pinstripe was applied (same as on the in-service car).

Here you can see mine (Left) along with Robert's red (right) and blue slicktop PCSD car:

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM

I love those Pierce County SD SSPs...hope to see one in person some day. Great job to both of you.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Outstanding work guys. The cars look great keep up the good work. The blue unit looks especially nice.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallon312 View Post
The blue unit looks especially nice.
Yes, yes it does. Helps that the former owner took really good care of it. I see it every few weeks, and am still envious of it.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the pictures Ryan. Those PCSD cars are so nice looking! So is Robert's car the one that has a cage/divider in it? That's a neat little feature seldom-seen in an SSP.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
So is Robert's car the one that has a cage/divider in it? That's a neat little feature seldom-seen in an SSP.
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Yes, in the blue one Robert has a standard roll bar. In the red one he has a full partition/cage. A few years back we found 2 NOS setups from some guy that used to work for Setina.

Robert put one in his car, and I have one for my 87 WSP (which had one originally). They are unique, and rare. But...makes driving very weird. Like driving in a phone booth. Troopers used to call these car setups: "rolling coffins" - cause if you ever got sideswiped, it would be your coffin.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 PM

It's time to bump this thread 4.5 years later. The car was subsequently sold by Ryan to Buddy, who sold it earlier in 2015 to a "museum" in Florida that tried to flip the car for serious coin. Eventually, the seller listed it on eBay without a reserve, and the car was sold for a fair price. The car will be headed up the East Coast to its new home - my place! I will update this thread as the improvements are made to the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg (35.4 KB, 171 views)