Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkSVT View Post
now thats taking it to a whole different level and being a total ass about it. Any cop doing this would have to be a total prick. I have one of those on my bicycle and its for safety so no one runs me over from behind. I have been driving on dark roads and myself seen cyclists with the flashing LEDs. With it flashing it is much more visable then if it was just burning steady red, and much safer...
Chris, maybe my post wasn't clear about the red LEDs on bicycles...they are only a problem when the clueless bicyclist mounts or shows them FORWARD (just like police bicycles use...right?). You cannot emit any red light forward on any vehicle (including bicycles) in California unless it is on authorized emergency equipment and LE takes this section of the VC very, very seriously at every level.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
You got that right! I can imagine the carnage someone would face if they showed up with one
if there is any carnaging to be done I volunteer.

lol....i cant help it guys.........really I cant.......i promise it is just to difficult....

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
After reading a ton of posts and checking out Georgia law on the subject, which is a little sketchy, I don't need to worry about driving around in my Blues Brotherish '82 with faded paint and x's on the doors do I? I would be shocked if I got hassled for driving it. It's still black and white and, frankly looks like a pos. Of course it will not say police anywhere on it or have any law enforcement decals. I have the exact verbage saved, but Georgia law is something to the effect of impersonating an officer/vehicle of the same colors w/blue lights, etc. From everything I have read, it appears as though the only time I would get hassled would be if I were in CA. I hope I am correct in not being too extremely worried about it.
Pics are hopefully coming soon however I am a little intimidated to post them after seeing Winter Park SSP's detail job. The carburator is the only clean part on my car.
No, you won't have any problems in GA.....owning a GSP and living in a neighboring state I have looked hard into the Georgia law pertaining to GSP cars.....here is what I gathered from it:

-You can own a car in GA that is Blue/Gray two tone and you can drive it as well. (They constantly sell off old P71s with the same paint scheme but no emergency equipment).

-You CANNOT Operate a car that is blue/grey WITH any emergency equipment installed.

So this means that if I need to travel through the state of Georgia with my GSP that I either have to trailer the car OR I have to remove every bit of emergency equipment from the car. If I had left it a slick top then I could have driven it but by my restoring it back as it was with the light bar I have restricted myself from having it on the road in that state.

I have the law printed out somewhere in my collection here in the office.....
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by policemustang View Post
I think also it could boil down to BASIC COMMON SENSE...which a lot of regular civilians don't have. ...........
EXACTLY....everything you said is 110% true! I built the engine for my GSP back in September of '06 when the MCA had it's 30th event here in Alabama and my car has logged only 435 miles since then....and most of that was me just trying to put some break in miles on it. I think it has travelled 25 miles since September of '07! But it only takes one idiot to make things difficult and attempt to cast a negative light on you.

There is VERY LITTLE common sense out there today and it's really sad....I remember back when I lived in Southern Maryland there was a local guy with a restored 1965 Galaxie MD State Police car who attended a big Cruise in Ocean City....some citizen called him in during the biggest car show of the year and said he was impersonating a police officer. A Rookie local cop ended up pulling him over(well, he was already pulled over and parked on the show field at the time!) and read him the riot act and threatened to impound his car. In the end he was vindicated and nothing happened....but the lack of common sense didn't settle in and it caused trouble for him.

There is a saying in Retail( I used to be a sales rep in the gift/toy industry) that "The buying public is basically stupid" and that carries on with (unfortunately) most of the general public. In retail....dept. stores take something like a brass picture frame, mark it up 4 times and then put it on sale for 50% off and while people are still paying what would normally be full retail, they think they are getting a steal at "50% off". Same thing happens in the Jewelry business. Then you get people on the road....they get a case of the "stupids" and have no common sense and much of the time act like idiots.

I bet I could take an Amish Horse and buggy painted up like an old Police car with NO police markings and a Gumball light on it even covered with a plain black cover and SOMEBODY is going to legitimately believe it is a real CURRENTLY USED police vehicle! It's sad that the actions of many make us lose faith the the commons sense abililty of our fellow man!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Your correct

Basic common sense is the Key as stated earlier. As the person who called you in was so anxious to tattle tale on somebody. They made up a story that you were driving around with your lights on. That tells you where the real problem lies. stickers, no stickers, lights, no lights, cop car, not a cop car, etc, etc. People can make up any story they want. Like you posted, you simply drove to the paint store. Its as I have said and been ridiculed before, it is how you conduct yourself as a citizen not what you driving for a car. Do people call in every police car they see driving down the road?? No they call in the one going 75mph in a 25 with blue lights flashing. You can type all day about ways to hide your car. People and officers will think and say what they want regardless of the measures taken to hide them.

FRED ASHMORE
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Well, not entirely....if I had been driving my F350 then there would have been no phone call....it does matter what you are driving to a point. Someone saw a vehicle they did not consider ordinary so they made up a story enough to get law enforcement attention on that vehicle. If I had been driving a Fire Truck they did not recognize they may have done the same. If I had been driving a top fuel dragster...while legal according to Alabama Law as long as it has working lights, they may have called that in as well. When driving something like an ex-police car you have more of a responsibility with that vehicle and how it is perceived....it comes with the territory.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 AM

I'm sure you guys have noticed in the past, that I get a little torqued off when people post burnouts with their mustangs, or other crazy stuff that makes us look bad. The general public loves to find something to complain about when it comes to law enforcement, right up to the time they are getting there ass robbed and need us to come save them or their loved ones from all the dark evil forces on the planet.

The issue of lights, light bars etc has never been an issue with me since I am LE myself. I have driven my cars, fully marked, to cruise ins and other local car shows however I take the utmost care to be the most polite, law abiding citizen I can be. I have never had a problem. I drive them VERY rarely.

For the hobbyist that is not a police officer I would suggest that when on the road have everything covered up, light bar, lights, markings etc so that there is no way that it can be construed that you are a wanna be, out to impress others. Unless required by your state laws, the car doesn't need to say "out of service", "retired from service", "show car only", or any of the other verbage that does nothing but draw attention to your car. I suggest you get a black light bar cover made, black covers for the deck lights, black magnets to cover decals, and make sure the master switch for all emergency equipment is working and everything is disabled. If stopped, simply tell the officer that you are a police car collecter, and on the way to wherever it is your going. If you are driving your car responsibly you should never have a problem anyway. Always remember, it only takes one moron to ruin it for everybody.

just my .02

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 AM

I'm with Jim.

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever
Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 AM
CHiPster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangretriever View Post
I'm with Jim.
+2
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM

How do I find out what the law is in NYC with owning my FHP B4C?

Where do you buy the "not in service" lightbar covers from?