Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM

Default CHP decals....group purchase???

As many of you know the reproduction door decals available to us are not the correct color, and not made the same way, with the clear vinyl 1/4 inch edge around the decal. You can spot a set of of the fakes a hundred feet away. These vendors selling the stuff also want nearly 300.00 a set now which is ridiculous.

I have been working on a project of late, trying to find a graphics vendor with the correct equipment to properly replicate the original Vitachrome CHP door decals. I have a set of original Vitachrome door sets and I have finally found a vendor with the correct equipment to do the work. This vendor has one of my decals and has been doing some R&D to color match and get the thing right. They called me yesterday and told me they can do it, and they said I won't be able to tell the difference between their product or the Vitachrome product. The worst part of all this is the cost to build the artwork, and the cost of the material.

I need to know if anyone is interested in a set of "correct" decals. If I get enough interest I will probably give them the go ahead to make them for us. I am expecting the first sets will cost approximatly 150.00 a set.

A set is :

2 "door seals"
2 "Highway" decals
2 "Patrol" decals

These decals CAN NOT be sold on Ebay, so please do not ask for decals if you just want to sell them. The vendor making these has asked for my assurance that he will not catch flack from CHP over them. I told him they are for car enthusiasts only.

I want to look at the test decal they are making for me and I will post up pics of it next to the original. I have told the guy that if they are not 99.9% correct, I will not want them. After the first batch is run, the price should drop, maybe as low as 100.00 a set.

Let me know if you are interested and how many sets you would want.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP