Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:36 PM

As some of you know, I am an Administrator on www.mustangforums.com. I posted there about being banned from the other SSP forum this past week for privately questioning the decision by the forum staff to scuttle the discussion about (ir)responsible use of old police cars in the eyes of the public. (yes, my account was passive-aggressively stripped of its account settings, i.e. banned)

One of the other Admins on MF asked me what the big deal was about some guy acting out, thinking the worst that could happen is that he'd get a ticket. I thought my response to him really explained why some of us are so concerned about that type of activity, so I wanted to share it here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Chris, when I got my SSP, I never gave any thought to the implications of driving an old police car. Not only do I need to be mindful of the cops and other motorists so they do not think that I am an impersonator, but I also need to be careful of my surroundings. I could easily pull into a gas station or convenience store one evening while it's being robbed, and be mistaken for an off-duty cop. Remember those 3-4 cops who were gunned down at a Seattle area coffee house about 1 1/2 years ago? That store was the same location where the local SSP crew would meet for coffee. Any one of them could have been shot too if they were there that morning.

In terms of this knucklehead, the danger comes from a citizen complaint or an on-duty cop witnessing it. Or worse, had there been a news chopper covering the accident/traffic we all could have seen video of his foolishness. What's the big deal? Well, at least one state (New Hampshire) has apparently outlawed private citizens from putting any kind of emergency lights and/or markings on their cars. The NH legislature passed that law to stop impersonators, but it also killed the police collector car hobby in that state.

Most police departments own the copyrights to their logos, and they could require a permit or license for anyone to use their logo on a restoration. Ohio went so far as to prohibit using their logos on ANYTHING (model cars too).

So this small aspect of the collector car hobby is in a unique position where the actions of outsiders (posers in late-model Crown Vics) or members of the group themselves could destroy the hobby. THAT is why some of these guys get so fired up when somebody misbehaves.
The Admin at MF asked a legitimate question because he is not part of the police car collector group. But it should be common sense to those of us who own/restore/operate an out-of-service police car or clone.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
As some of you know, I am an Administrator on www.mustangforums.com. I posted up in the Moderator Room there about being banned from the other SSP forum this past week for privately questioning the decision by the forum staff to scuttle the discussion about (ir)responsible use of old police cars in the eyes of the public. (yes, my account was passive-aggressively stripped of its account settings, i.e. banned)

One of the other Admins on MF asked me what the big deal was about some guy acting out, thinking the worst that could happen is that he'd get a ticket. I thought my response to him really explained why some of us are so concerned about that type of activity, so I wanted to share it here -

The Admin at MF asked a legitimate question because he is not part of the police car collector group. But it should be common sense to those of us who own/restore/operate an out-of-service police car or clone.
Bill,

Since you are an admin on a site with over 150,000 members, I know that you have the experience and ability to deal with disagreements in a mature and responsible manner. That was one of the reasons I asked you to help moderate here. The fact that you were banned for privately disagreeing with the forum staff across the way doesn't surprise me, but it also serves to reinforce the notion that certain members of the hobby are in it for the wrong reasons.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copcamaro View Post
Correct about taking to FL.
I will NEVER take the car there, as I would go directly to jail with the color.
As I said the painted magnetic covers are held on with Scotch doublesided POSTER tape.It's as thin as regular scotch tape, but sticky both sides.
I drove all the way to Ca. from Mo. and back 4,000 plus miles, at sometimes a little above the speed limit and never had one come loose and fly off.
When they are painted the car color, it really camoflages the car.
I even take the 3 antennas off and leave the AM/FM and CB radio on.
Radar, I leave in and play with it at times, which really slows some of those agressive drivers down.
To my reccolection I have never been stopped in my 20 years showing the cars, as I believe in taking all the precautions I can as to not get stopped and screw this hobby up.
Copy of my letter from Col. of Colo. State patrol to the Col. of th FL. state patrol.
I worked promoting the CSP for some 12 years and NEVER A PROBLEM!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Col.Trostel's letter to Fl. Col..pdf (338.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Admin

VERY nice, Ray.

The case law has changed things a bit, and you will not go directly to jail just for being there, but all it takes is running into the wrong person and having to deal with a million questions. I plan on trailering my FHP everywhere anyway. It's a safer way to go. I went to the MCOH show today and saw a '69/'70 Boss 302 with a rearranged front end. Guy was driving it to the show and a drunk driver hit him, then tried to flee the scene.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM
...Gathering Parts

That is a nice recognition by the CSP Colonel and it shows trust. Now what was Colonel Czernis' response?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Welcome Home Bill
you are with friends.
Now if you can just get your $ back from
that other SSP forum as i did (YES i got it back)
when i was denied access to the site.

I applaud Mikes decision to make you
a Moderator here.
I think you are doing a Great job!
Again Welcome Home.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
That is a nice recognition by the CSP Colonel and it shows trust. Now what was Colonel Czernis' response?

I was pretty proud of their confidence in me and as the the FL. Col's. response!!!
Never heard a word back!! and figure I never will!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Welcome Home Bill
you are with friends.
Now if you can just get your $ back from
that other SSP forum as i did
(YES i got it back)
when i was denied access to the site.
I applaud Mikes decision to make you
a Moderator here.
I think you are doing a Great job!
Again Welcome Home.
Andy, my $20 was refunded before I knew that my account was being banned.

Quote:
I was pretty proud of their confidence in me and as the the FL. Col's. response!!!
Ray, that is a great letter!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
...Gathering Parts

Quote:
I figured as much from FL. They had really put the clamps down when one of the collector whackers I and many at CCdC had experience with named Bill Parks tried to help put together a show and "assisted" the show organizers from PCOOA or EVOOA by doing some PR with FHP in 1999... Here's his photo from that era:

With his list of whackerisms (in his delusional mind he thought he was a Vietnam vet and a former LEO and for that matter an attorney too), he basically got a response from them with a simple and strongly worded, "any car that shows up as a police vehicle will be impounded and confiscated from it's owner, trailered or not and then the owner will be cited for impersonating". That didn't separate out the FHP "restorations" either, that was everybody.

Thanks to one moron, FHP is probably never going to respond to you or anyone else in the hobby at all.... and that's one of the real stories behind why FHP clamps down on the collectors.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
With his list of whackerisms (in his delusional mind he thought he was a Vietnam vet and a former LEO and for that matter an attorney too), he basically got a response from them with a simple and strongly worded, "any car that shows up as a police vehicle will be impounded and confiscated from it's owner, trailered or not and then the owner will be cited for impersonating". That didn't separate out the FHP "restorations" either, that was everybody.

Thanks to one moron, FHP is probably never going to respond to you or anyone else in the hobby at all.... and that's one of the real stories behind why FHP clamps down on the collectors.
So are things the same in Florida in regards to clamping down on those who display a restored police car at a show?