Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Default 1991 FHP Roll Bars?

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has any info on whether or not the Florida Highway Patrol installed 4 point roll bars on their cars? I've read that some agencies had them installed in cars used for training exercises but nothing conclusive on which agencies did & what they looked like.

This past weekend I was removing some of my interior to do speaker wiring & I found mounting plates & what appear to be bars that have been cut. The guy who purchased this car from auction supposedly never raced it & claims it was just restored & driven lightly for years but who really knows. The chassis is super clean overall & doesn't show signs of abuse.

I wasn't able to find mounting points up front under the dash so I'm almost certain it's just a 4 point cage. It doesn't look like the cutting was done very cleanly, there's even a half inch cut into the passenger b pillar mount where it appears someone just gave up removing it & said screw it haha...

If anyone can look at the below photos & give insight it'd be greatly appreciated:

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Admin

I've never personally seen any or know of any. That said, I think it's unlikely that someone would have went through all of the trouble to cut it out, if it did have one. They barely took the decals off of some of them...but anything is possible.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I've never personally seen any or know of any. That said, I think it's unlikely that someone would have went through all of the trouble to cut it out, if it did have one. They barely took the decals off of some of them...but anything is possible.
As much as I think you may be right, I'm left really wondering. On the one hand anything could have happened while it was in service, on the other hand your point is very valid.

The guy who purchased the car restored two others & flipped them, maybe he thought it'd be worth more with a full interior & cut it out for that reason. Who knows. Still hoping someone out there has seen an FHP car with a cage & would know right off the bat...I wonder if it's possible to contact the Florida Highway Patrol & find out more about the car's history?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM

Did they have EVOC Mustang SSPs with roll bar cages in them?

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 06-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Did they have EVOC Mustang SSPs with roll bar cages in them?
Weren't EVOC cars CHP only? I found a few photos of cars with roll bars/cages in them & it seems not all were full cages. Looks like CHP used full cages on their EVOC cars but GSP had units with rear bars only which appear to be mounted at the rear & at the base of the b-pillars like mine.

Odd...still unable to find photos of a Florida car with roll bars though.