Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 06-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Exclamation (1993) TX DPS finding - clutch kill switch

Ok, so I'm going over my "new to me" 1993 TX DPS SSP.

In my clean up/making notes of what I need for replacement parts and for its restoration, while under the dash, I noticed it has an integrated clutch kill switch.

I recalled seeing such a device discussed in the past on other SSP's but could not pin point the "where" since it's been so long.

I did do a search on here in the forums - and had no hits for the DPS units. So I then went to the Agency Restoration docs section on here and hit the TX doc first (most obvious huh, LOL). Nope, nothing there. Hit the FL doc next - yep BINGO, hit on it there!

So in my TX DPS, the spring loaded kill switch exists and is the exact same as what is seen in the attached image from the FHP clutch kill switch on this very site. In my attached copied image from the on-site FHP doc, the kill switch on the right with the long spring is the exact switch installed with almost identical attaching hardware and matching blue wire.

My question is, I don't recall this being discussed with TX DPS units, but I can confirm it is in this DPS... and set up as documented and used by the FHP.

Is this unique in that some DPS units had this installed and some did not? Or is it possible other TX DPS owners just have not deep dived under their dash to know or see its existence?

Were these made by a specific vendor with same parts (switch/attaching hardware) and distributed to Police Agencies?

I can't imagine this would have been added by a "civilian"? It's definitely not in a position that is easily accessible or visible that's for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4312.jpeg (462.8 KB, 15 views)
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 12-02-2023, 08:19 PM

Lightbulb

Hey all,

Hoping someone can help with my initial thread and my additional findings.

So as I said in my initial above thread, this DPS unit DOES have one of those integrated "kill switches" as the FL SSP's did ...

Today I traced from the clutch pedal unit back to the kick panel and found the other U-shaped unit with the metal bracket too! Seems this was tucked/buried in the driver side kick panel wire bundles.

From the clutch pedal unit it has 2 blue wires. One loops back into the unit, the 2nd blue wire (turns to black) and goes to 1 terminal on the U-shaped part I found inside the kick panel. On the U-shaped part, there is a 2nd terminal on it with an empty connector (no wire).

How did this kill switch hook up or how was it to be wired? Where would the 2nd wire from the U-shaped part go?

I read through the docs for the FL SSP (which I included in my original post above on here), but maybe I'm just not understanding how this is supposed to be wired or used...??

Has any other DPS owners found that their DPS has this "FL" kill switch feature?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5447.jpeg (1.74 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5448.jpeg (2.77 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5449.jpeg (3.00 MB, 4 views)
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP