Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Default FHP Colors in Florida

Has anyone in Florida received permission to drive their black and tan Mustang on the roads? If so how did you go about it??

The Floirda Statute 321.03 reads:

321.03 Imitations prohibited; penalty.—Unless specifically authorized by the Florida Highway Patrol, a person in the state shall not color or cause to be colored any motor vehicle or motorcycle the same or similar color as the color or colors so prescribed for the Florida Highway Patrol. A person who violates this section or s. 321.02 with respect to uniforms, emblems, motor vehicles and motorcycles commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall employ such clerical help and mechanics as may be necessary for the economical and efficient operation of such department.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 AM

That means "NO" The state of Florida is really strict on that.

1993 Florida Highway Patrol #719
1990 Kentucky State Police #542
Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrabbit View Post
That means "NO" The state of Florida is really strict on that.
Not really.

There's case law in FL and we've discussed this many times here before. OP, use the search function if you'd like to read more of them, but here are a couple:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...light=case+law

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...?t=2602&page=2

Here's another one that is a good read also. Unfortunately, some in the hobby think that they have a "right" to drive around in fully-marked, uncovered police vehicles. In many states, they do not.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=3283

BTW, you will not be able to get a permission letter from FHP.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM

I haven’t read any firsthand accounts where anyone had been pulled over and cited for having a black and tan vehicle.

I have no intentions on operating the car with any FHP markings what so ever. I just would like a clear answer on the car carrying its factory applied paint and operating on the roads of Florida.

It seems this is a very grey area when discussed.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Admin

Case law on it is pretty cut and dry. I put 5k miles on 1187 back in '98-'00 and I never had a problem. Of course, my car looked obviously out of service.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Mike,
I assume you operated 1187 in Florida and it still wore it's Black and Tan paint job?

I just hate to wrap, plastidip, tape-up, spray paint etc etc the car when our plan it to be able to operate the car as a Black and Tan with no FHP markings and be able to take it to shows and display it as a fully marked unit by applying the FHP markings while it's parked and on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Case law on it is pretty cut and dry. I put 5k miles on 1187 back in '98-'00 and I never had a problem. Of course, my car looked obviously out of service.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 PM

let us know how it turns out when (not if) you get stopped.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPiRiT R/T View Post
Mike,
I assume you operated 1187 in Florida and it still wore it's Black and Tan paint job?

I just hate to wrap, plastidip, tape-up, spray paint etc etc the car when our plan it to be able to operate the car as a Black and Tan with no FHP markings and be able to take it to shows and display it as a fully marked unit by applying the FHP markings while it's parked and on display.
Yep, but like I said, my car looked obviously out of service. My advice, based on what you wrote above, would be to trailer the car.

If that's not an option, you could have someone research and pull copies of the legal rulings and carry the paperwork with you if you are ever stopped. I do know of someone who was charged and the charges were later dropped; however it was a local PD that filed them and not FHP.

BTW, the info about the case law came directly from a Captain at FHP years ago. One of the cases was filed in the Orlando area back in the late '90s.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM

I think it wouldn't be worth it to have a restored FHP vehicle if I lived in the state of Florida. The hassles that would occur would suck out any enjoyment you would have owning the car, even if you could stand your ground legally. You would likely get stopped all the time, which would be a huge hassle.

The FHP will not grant you permission to paint your car in their colors. Your first post did not specifically ask for suggestions, but if I were in your situation I would repaint the car all-black and either put the lettering/logos on magnets, or mark the car permanently and keep everything covered up.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM

When I lived in FL, I remember seeing two black and tan, clearly out of service, SSP's. I never really understood how the state could enforce that law when the state put the car into public hands in those colors.