Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Default 1986 SSP saved- Dan's 1986 FHP

This is a neat story. Jason (03Cobra) on the board here heard about this car a couple of weeks ago. He immediately called me, told me the story and was in the truck headed down to look at it as we spoke about it. It sounded rough, real rough, but it was certainly worth a look for the price. Upon inspection, the car was actually extremely straight and solid, but has just lived through many, many years of abuse, "maintenance," and modification by someone who didn't have the means to do those things properly. IE, the car was just way run down. Interior is miss-matched, missing or broken; engine has been replaced, the whole car has been painted with a brush... it was basically my '86 DPS mustang all over again. The kid who had it lived in a real bad part of town, was hard up for money and needed it gone. It was so bad, that he didn't have a phone, he had to wait by a friend's phone to talk to us.

I decided that I wasn't ready for another resto, and Jason had just tracked down a unicorn of his own and was in the same boat. We decided to pass. In passing I mentioned to Dan (who restored my '86 DPS and my Sage Green '86 Coupe) that we had found this car but were going to pass on it. He asked for a couple pictures, so I sent what we had. He told me at that price he'd be really interested, and that got me pretty pumped. This is just up his alley with his resto abilities, and both Jason and I were excited to hear maybe the car could get saved. I struck a deal with Dan to pick up the car for him, and literally loaded up the truck and trailer and headed out that next night after work.

The car is really super solid, it obviously did not live in Florida very long after decommissioning. There is lots of tan paint still strewn about, and you can see the hole for the light bar in the bottom side of the roof (headliner is out). The kid I bought it from did say that it had the bumper drilled for 2 pushbars when he bought it, but he replaced the bumper for one with no holes. I sure hope it was a push-bar car! One buck tag appears to be missing, and the door tag is illegible. Still no doubt that it is an FHP though, and the VIN falls right in line (248589). Dan said it's still going to be a couple of years before he gets to this one as he has 3-4 ahead of it, but it will get the royal treatment just the same! On to the good stuff...

Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
It is what it is.

Looks like a nice place to start.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM
...Gathering Parts

Nice save Chris! I had my 86 ISP I bought from you out this weekend at the CPD Museum show... keep finding them and people will restore them!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Great to hear Greg! I bet she pulled a crowd, even in her "well used" form. She's going to be beautiful again soon I know it!

As for the FHP, is there any way to find out the service number besides sanding the roof down and praying?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Nice save, Chris!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM

I wanted to post an update on this one. Dan is getting down to business on the body work, bringing it back to life. Definitely a push-bar car as far as we can tell. It will go back that way.

And now sanded down and primed for paint. Lots of work put in here, the car had been brush painted.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM

motor looks to be there, mass air converted with a explorer intake looks like the A/C and smog things are the only thing missing
typhoon intake, bbk cold air intake, professional products 70tb and egr
c&L 73mm mass air
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM

That's going to be a really nice save when he's done. The VIN falls in line with a suspected block of FHP Mustangs, and we have 27 screenshots from Florida DMV showing police-branded titles in that batch. On the next go-around, we will order Marti Reports for 248536 and 248592 so we can add these SSPs to the project.

EDIT:
After posting this Chris sent me the Marti Report for this SSP, so here is the page for this car in our VIN Project:

Last edited by 28HopUp; 03-27-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added a link
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM

incredible. the center caps were in the trunk?? love it.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP