Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Damp garage suggestions

I went to go string an extension cord to plug my diesel heater in and I noticed that my garage seems really damp for as cold as it is, I think it was 15-20 this morning. Does anyone have a suggestion for dehumidifying? I think that it might be a little too cold to use an actual dehumidifier.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
I went to go string an extension cord to plug my diesel heater in and I noticed that my garage seems really damp for as cold as it is, I think it was 15-20 this morning. Does anyone have a suggestion for dehumidifying? I think that it might be a little too cold to use an actual dehumidifier.
I keep my storage garage at 50 degrees in the winter with 2 off-peak electric wall heaters and run a dehumidifier year-round. My garage is 10 years old now and after the first year with just keeping it at 50 (65+ when I'm working in it) I noticed I had mold starting on the seat belts of my 30k mile 86 GT convert, so I added a dehumidifier to the 1,280 sq. ft. garage and it solved the mold issue.

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm not familiar with your type of heater, but if it is not a vented type then the combustion will add moisture to the air. Depending on your available electricity, you may want to use a dehumidifier (even with the cooler temperatures). There are other heating options which do not have the humidity issue (vented or electric). One of my favorite forums is the Garage Journal, which has its own heating/cooling section:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=26

Be prepared to spend MANY hours there.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!