Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Bobby Edwards

Default SSP's "Not buildable" ?????

Hey guy's, I've got a question for ya'll. I've read in several post on this and other forums, about some SSP's that were determined to be "Not buildable". Ok, I can see if they were just coupes or even just 5.0 coupes ,and were wrecked (or rusted) severely... I don't know how many of you fool with foxes other than ssp's, but I personaly have bought 5 nice titled GT hull's over the last couple years that were used as donor cars for 4cyl coupe conversions. My point is, everyone seems to want a 5.0 coupe, and what better example (or rarer) of that than the SSP's??? Should'nt they all be saved even if it means using structural panels from donor 4cyl cars? Even clipping one would be better than letting it disapear and become a kia? I not saying you should do this and pass it off on someone unsuspecting. But if it was done right (and yes there is a right way)and if you did ever sell it, you were up front and honest about it, wouldn't that be better than losing it forever? The FHP car I just purchased is hit very hard in the front. I've not had time to evaluate it just yet, but if it is "Not repairable" I will clip it to save it. I also know that most hobbiest can't take on a job like this and hardly anyone can afford to have this type of work performed, but they are people out there that can, and would do this for the love of these cars. I'm one of them!!! So before It's deemed "not repairable" and stripped of it's tag's and identity, should'nt we see if someone is willing to tackle it? I'd really just like to know your opinions on this...

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Admin

I agree with you. Personally, I think that there are two schools of thought.

One, as you mentioned, is that if you are passionate about a car, and want to see it restored to its' former glory, you will do what needs to be done (for the "love" of the car), no matter the financial outcome. Within reason, of course.

The second school, IMHO, is the "value" crowd, who may have a different feeling towards the car (motivated by $$), and may want to see it "restored". However, this type of person is always concerned about "what the market will bear" or how the "resto" will impact them financially. These are also the same guys who buy and sell the same car back and forth to each other over and over again, but that's another story entirely.

I know that there are many levels in between, but I think you struck a nerve with your post. I'd like to see every single one of them saved, but that's not going to happen.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 PM

my 1985 texas car was hit hard in the passenger door frame near the quarter window. it was over an inch compressed with the floor buckled. It also had about two gallons of bondo in it. I fixed it and replaced every single body panel on the car, replaced the interior, it has a new motor and transmission. The only original part to the car is the body shell, buck tags and vin plate.

yes I believe in saving them. I am different than many because I don't consider the cost or how much I will have in it, or especially how much can I get out of it. I enjoy working on the cars, and the finished product when I get done. The ssp flippers that continuously spout off about market values and desparately crave attention over how many cars they have bought and sold are not enthusiasts. They are simply attention seekers that need to think they are important. I don't care how many cars they buy and sell, as long as they don't make us all look like morons in the process.

Any car can be saved. It all depends on what your "real intentions" are when you purchase it.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Bobby Edwards

Not really trying to strike a nerve, lol. Just wondering,and I know value wise the car would be at the lowest. But What I'm trying to say is someone would still want it and it'd at least still be around instead of a memory...Wouldnt that be better? Lord knows that I know, we cant save them all but shouldnt we at least try to see if someones willing before we take it's identity? Take a look at some of the basket case shelbys and fastbacks that have been restored...

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapracing View Post
Not really trying to strike a nerve, lol. Just wondering,and I know value wise the car would be at the lowest. But What I'm trying to say is someone would still want it and it'd at least still be around instead of a memory...Wouldnt that be better? Lord knows that I know, we cant save them all but shouldnt we at least try to see if someones willing before we take it's identity? Take a look at some of the basket case shelbys and fastbacks that have been restored...
No worries....and I think I'm not alone (at least not here). We agree with you.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

I agree about saving them. I was very fortunate to have acquired an 89 Minnesota SSP that was used for a parts car for years and was about to be used for a derby car. I'm going to have more time and money in this car than it's worth but someone needs to do it. I also believe in saving every one. These cars are a very important part of history. For these cars to have survived their police tour of duty is amazing in it's self. And then to be abused even more by "Ricky Racer" and a host of other abusers. It is a labor of love for sure. The "Flippers" will always be around, but most will eventually move on to the next hot item. Those of us that love & appreciate SSP's will be here for ever. Doug
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Take a look at some of the basket case shelbys and fastbacks that have been restored...
Exactly! I remember going through junk yards and seeing plenty of 6-cylinder fastbacks rotting away because nobody thought they had any value. With the proliferation of aftermarket replacement parts, these cars are now being restored/restofied (more commonly the latter, where it's being hot rodded up or cloned into something else).

Will this happen with SSPs? Perhaps. The aftermarket following is fairly good presently, and the desirability of 5.0L Fox Mustangs will always be there. SSPs that are presently "un-restorable" for economic reasons may at some point be given another life through a comprehensive restoration. But those costs will be high, and a restored car (versus a low mileage original SSP) will be more desirable if its in-service history can be documented/traced. Police records will not get any easier to find 10+ years from now, and the officers who remember these cars will be long-retired by then. It's their in-service history that makes SSP's so unique in the car hobby, so documenting a vehicle's usage will be more important (and difficult) as time goes on.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP 3705 View Post
It is a labor of love for sure. The "Flippers" will always be around, but most will eventually move on to the next hot item.Those of us that love & appreciate SSP's will be here for ever. Doug
Amen. I've been criticized by some of the "resto-furbers" because I haven't finished a car. In reality, many of them haven't, either. Slapping a paint job on a car and selling it on eBay as "restored" is disingenuous. "Saving" a car, in my case, includes purchasing and storing it so that it doesn't get raced out, wrapped around a telephone pole, or in today's "market conditions", flipped back and forth repeatedly or cloned into someone's "fantasy" car. Sooner or later, I'll get into mine, but until then, they are safely tucked away.

My .02.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Bobby Edwards

That's pretty smart thinking if you ask me. Wish I had a old warehouse to pack them away in. One thing I'd like to clarify, I know my user name puts people on edge. Yes I used to street race a good bit (hence the username "kapracing" shortened up from kicking ass/phalt when I got into church). I'm now 42 no longer doing that sota thing. I do love these cars, Been chased myself by one or two... lol. I admit I'm not as into the concourse scene as much as some, but I would love to keep them all from becoming a kia...

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
That's pretty smart thinking if you ask me. Wish I had a old warehouse to pack them away in. One thing I'd like to clarify, I know my user name puts people on edge. Yes I used to street race a good bit (hence the username "kapracing" shortened up from kicking ass/phalt when I got into church). I'm now 42 no longer doing that sota thing. I do love these cars, Been chased myself by one or two... lol. I admit I'm not as into the concourse scene as much as some, but I would love to keep them all from becoming a kia...
Don't think I didn't notice when I approved your account!

We try to give everyone an opportunity to participate on whatever level they want to here. One thing I've learned in my now 20 years of LE is that everything isn't always what it seems. That and those that jump to rash conclusions just might find themselves looking pretty foolish.

We're glad to have people like you on this site.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS