Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Ford Fan Since a Kid

Default SSP BRAKE PADS

What type of front brake pads were used originally on SSP's (organic, semi-metallic) and what are some good quality replacement pads now on the market?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

SSPs had the same brakes as a stock 5.0 mustang. I haven't looked into what are the best replacements, but you should be able to get some at an auto parts store. Brake pads were pretty much the same on most all fox body platform cars in the 80s.
Someone else will most likely know more than I do.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Organic pads are kinda new thing. Fox bodies are from before that time. The use of organic pads also requires the need for different rotors (as far as metallurgy) over standard Cast rotors. You can not use organic pads on rotors meant for semi metallic pads. Sounds weird, but I just ran into this on my girlfriends Honda. As far as aftermarket pads, I've always had good luck with thermoquiet ceramic pads. I've heard good and bad about EBC stuff pads. If you drive it a lot, I would go with the ceramic pads, and they produce virtually no brake dust which is awesome! Good luck.
#200882 unit# M9166- SOLD
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Smile

Here. I hound this. It should help you.

There are four general types of brake pads for cars and trucks:

Semimetallic: This formula, containing about 30 to 65 percent metal, typically includes chopped steel wool or wire, iron powder, copper or graphite mixed with inorganic fillers, and friction modifiers that bond all the ingredients together. These pads are more durable and have excellent heat transfer, but also wear down rotors faster, can be noisy, and may not perform optimally at low temperatures.

Nonasbestos organic: Sometimes listed as organic or NAO, this type of pad is made from fibers, such as glass, rubber, carbon, and Kevlar, with filler materials and high-temperature resins. These pads are softer and create less noise, but they wear faster and create more dust.

Low-metallic NAO: These are made from an organic formula mixed with small amounts (10 to 30 percent) of copper or steel to help with heat transfer and provide better braking. With the added metal, there is more brake dust and they may be slightly noisier.

Ceramic: These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors.
#200882 unit# M9166- SOLD