Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 AM

Default Black 10 holes

I have a question. How do you know if black 10 holes are original or if someone painted them to have the black look???? I'm asking because I found a guy with a set. I haven't looked at them yet. I wanted to know a little more about them before I looked at them. I'd hate to buy some 10 holes that were rattle canned.

I love my NHP SSP
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Others may be able to chime in about determining authenticity. Personally, I think you can use regular 10-holes that are repainted or powder-coated to look original without it taking away from a restoration. I also wouldn't pay a premium for used black 10-holes, because they will most likely need to be reconditioned anyway after so many years. You do occassionally find an like-new spare tire/wheel pop up for sale every now and again, which is nice to have for a full restoration.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Ok. I was asking because I found a guy near where I live here with six 10 hole rims and bald tires(of course for this area). I see if I can go check them out. Thank you.

I love my NHP SSP
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM

If you are going to properly refinish them in either paint or powdercoat it shouldn't make any difference at all. I used a regular replacement set on my car that I had powdercoated and they came out perfect.

BTW, I still have the originals that I'll sell fairly cheap if you or anyone is interested:

Who knows if they are the exact originals that came with the car. Two are still shod with General XP 2000 AS rubber, one has a real low mileage generic tire and may have been a spare once upon a time and one looks like it may have been in the EVOC wheel pool.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/