Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 AM
It is what it is.

Default Officer Opinions on Current Cruisers

I have been selected by our Chief to research and choose our next cruiser for our fleet. I have been gathering all the research I can, and sad to say, so far it looks like the Caprice and Charger are coming out on top. I am all too familiar with things looking better on paper than in person. So I want to see if any of you LEO's have thoughts, opinions, or your departments own research I could review.

The Dodge I am aware had many problems with brakes and transmissions. My understanding is these issues were addressed with the 2012 model year. So does anyone have a 2012 at their department and if so any issues?

Some local agencies here have been going with the new Caprice. This being a new car I guess longevity results are not out there. From my research these are basically a stretched out G8 and I heard nothing but good things about them. But does anyone here have some experience with one and if so thoughts?

The one benefit from the Ford Interceptors is the AWD option. But so far everything else they seem to fall behind in. This being based on the Michigan State Police Testing and various other articles I have read. But again like the Caprice this is a "new" police vehicle. But on the flip side the civilian version has been out for awhile now.

So please let me know your thoughts, complaints, likes, dislikes, etc... with whatever cruiser you and your agency are using.

Thank you!

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 AM

You might contact the CHP. They do extensive research and testing when they look at new patrol vehicles. They may have all of the info you need on these vehicles and or others.
What is the size of your department, city, county, rural, highway, mountains etc.?
Do you need high speed vehicles, or city cruisers ? SUV's ?

Oregon State Police use Chargers and Ford SUV's. Medford City PD uses Chargers, but they do not buy the police package chargers. They seem happy with them.
But they have a no pursuit policy. So they mind as well have KIA's for that matter.

I'd contact State agencies, they usually have some sort of research program for patrol vehicles. A lot of other States, City's etc, will go with what the CHP purchase. Mainly because CHP does some serious testing on the vehicles they look at purchasing for their fleet. And they order so many of them.

Just a suggestion.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 AM

I would try contacting your local Dealerships to see if they have a Police Package Demo in your area you can test drive for your own evaluation.

TOM
Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM
...Gathering Parts

My question would be: Have you driven any of these cars?

It seems like you are looking on paper if I'm reading what you are saying correctly. I have seen the actual test sequences for the Interceptor during it's development phases in person. The AWD in any of the Interceptor models is very predictable in handling and is well balanced when I drove it. The twin turbo being the real scorcher of a car to add to the amazing handling. I am well trained in the use of the FWD vehicles (as well as RWD) for over 25 years so the FWD Interceptor feels intuitive to me but I don't think would feel the same for an officer coming out of a CVPI to one of these unless it was AWD.

I have driven the 2012 Charger as well as previous models of the Charger as far back as 2006 and they are consistent in their brawn and drive ability but not in their reliability area typically. I have seen too many issues with the V8 in driving characteristics from it being too powerful for most driver's abilities. I do not have a complete feel yet on the 2012 but it has some really nice features but at the CPD they are strictly using the V6 model which is adequate for most city activity from what I've seen and what I've been told by officers assigned to those units. CPD will be going to the Fords next year per the Chief.

I have only one opinion on the Chevy is in equipment placement issues as that is the only thing that I've been able to personally see on this car and I have not been able to drive one yet to give an opinion.

Unfortunately, I have to say that departments are falling well short in the EVOC and driver training area so I venture a guess that officer's reaction especially to any FWD vehicle is due to not being properly trained or retrained in driving the new vehicles. I think this is the key item in changing up in any of these vehicles regardless of drive train configuration.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
It is what it is.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

I have a request in to the CHP for their test and evaluation results. However, the manager of fleet services at the EVOC facility stated they do not typically release their full reports to other agencies. He has sent my request up the chain of command. I was able to get Michigan SP results as they publish those online.

As far as driving I have drove the civilian versions of the Chargers and Taurus. Both seem like great civilian cars, just not sure how they would be in Police service.

The area I work has everything as far as geography. We have two major interstates, several state routes, downtown shopping area, neighborhoods, and rural farm land...basically everything but mountains. We are approx. 27 square miles in size with a population over 50k.

If we went with the Interceptor I am sure it would be the Ecoboost AWD model. The Charger is looking like it will fall out of the lineup due to all the mechanical issues I keep hearing about....just wish we had better input on the 2012 model year.

I did get a chance to sit in a neighboring agency's Taurus Interceptor. I did like the cockpit feel, but the rear prisoner is small...and we have some big boys we deal with here.

Chevy is coming to our PD on Monday with a Caprice that is outfitted with a cage. I am going to try and get the neighboring agency's Taurus here at the same time and compare them side by side. As much as I would love to have a HEMI Charger, with the mechanical issues I am thinking that would be a bad idea.

Lastly I have to say I am disappointed in Ford Fleets customer service. I can not get anyone to call or write me back. The local Ford dealership can not provide me a demo. All they can do is provide me with paperwork and test results...which I already have.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 AM
...Gathering Parts

To note, any Ford dealership cannot get the demo car issued to them. It has to come from Ford Fleet. Call the fleet line and ask for your representative for your area and they normally give you that information and then contact them directly.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM

My buddy is a Lieutenant for a local police department. He was over the other night and commented that they ordered 2 V6 Caprices to see how well they hold up. Not wanting their young patrol officers to have cars that are too powerful, they decided not to get the V8 to err on the side of safety.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
To note, any Ford dealership cannot get the demo car issued to them. It has to come from Ford Fleet. Call the fleet line and ask for your representative for your area and they normally give you that information and then contact them directly.
I have tried to get a hold of Ford Fleet sales directly and no one has yet to call me or write back....maybe they are on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
My buddy is a Lieutenant for a local police department. He was over the other night and commented that they ordered 2 V6 Caprices to see how well they hold up. Not wanting their young patrol officers to have cars that are too powerful, they decided not to get the V8 to err on the side of safety.
I like what Chevy did with the pricing...both motors are the same price. The only down side is the V8 only has 54 more hp (355hp). You would think the difference would be more and you would think the V8 would be closer to the Charger at 370hp. But other than highway traffic enforcement maybe we don't need all that horsepower...maybe.

Whatever car we go with I am going to try and get our Chief to send some officers to driving school. All of these cars are much different than the CV and Expeditions we are use to.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM

I drive an expedition. we bought one new explorer. it is everything it needs to be for police work. AWD, roomy inside, comfortable, handles well. The Taurus is to small inside, as the newspaper won't open all the way, like in my expedition.

The new explorer will out run a cvpi from 0 to 60 with ease. Cops don't need top end, just gets them killed. When I make Chief they will all drive 4 cyl fusions.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 AM
It is what it is.

I do like our Expeditions...plenty of leg room and room for all my crap. I have heard a couple people also liking the Explorer based Interceptor over the Taurus one. I am curious if they will eventually offer the Ecoboost in the Explorer to match the Taurus.

I am meeting with the Chevy sales rep today. He is bringing a 6.0 Caprice already outfitted with a cage. Our Chief told me the car must fit our tallest guy who is 6'9"...Jim I think you know who I am talking about.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS