Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM

Smile New Project Car

Our 14yo son, Jack, is interested in cars (with me as his father he didn't stand a chance otherwise!). The Mrs. and I had planned to let him drive the 66 Mustang that I drove in high school, but she was concerned about the car not having airbags, ABS, shoulder belts, etc. So we've been keeping an eye out for a project car for us to work on together. I figure if he has his time and money invested into a car before he gets his license, then he'd be more likely to take care of it. So we've been looking for an airbag car or truck that needs work. The only requirement was that it needed to be a stick shift.

I had been keeping an eye out for another SSP, but nothing jumped off the page at me. I ran across a 95 Mustang GT convertible that was priced right and fit the term "project car", but I didn't like the idea of putting him behind the wheel of a powerful GT. So we kept looking. Earlier in August I found a nice prospect on AutoTrader. I spoke with the seller, and decided it was worth the 1 hour drive to check it out with the family.

The car was a 98 Mustang coupe with the 3.8L V6 and 5 speed transmission. Fourth gear was gone, the AC blew hot air, the windshield was cracked, the front brakes were thin, and the tires were worn. But the body was nice and rust-free, and the interior was clean. It was perfect! I showed Jack how to check out a car, and also how to haggle with a seller. A deal was struck, and we took the car home that weekend when the notary was open.

Jack is VERY excited. He has joined 4 Mustang forums, and is trying to learn all he can about the car. I got the car insured, and plan to get it tagged this week. Here's a pic -

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Congrats...I remember gettting my first car (a 1966 Mustang) as a young lad and it was a real thrill.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Bill, I hear ya! We just did a quick 2600 mile round trip for a project car for Austin , my 15yr old..
1993 white coupe with all ruby red interior, it's a roller project !
Mamma and I told him we will buy him parts as his report card comes out!
this should keep him busy and out of trouble!

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Admin

Nice stories/pics guys.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Hector, that's a very nice looking Fox! It looks to be a great project for you two to work on.

Jack is very excited about the 98. He is catching some grief from his friends for being spoiled. In actuality, the dollar amount really isn't that much. I think everyone here recognizes the benefits (on several levels) of a project like this. My only regret is that I don't have a bigger garage!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Quick Update

Jack & I recently drove to North Carolina and back to pick up an 8.8" rear with 3.90:1 gears and a t-lok. We knew the seller from another forum. Yes, 919 miles in 16 hours is a long way to drive, but we got the perfect rear for Jack's car. The rear is sitting in my garage now; waiting on a set of lowering springs.

I might also pick up a set of OEM 17x8" SVT 10th Anniversary rims and tires. Although I like the waffles, it would be nice to set the car off with a cool set of rims (I'm a tire/stance kinda guy). The nice thing about 17x8" rims is the wide choice of tires. The only tires for wider rims are summer-only tires, which won't work on a daily driver in this part of the country. The tires on the waffles are summer-only, which explains why the seller said the car was so bad to drive in the winter. The deal is still pending, so we'll see.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Very good first driver for a 16 year old. A nice looking and sporty vehicle with just enough power to be fun but not enough to get into (too much) trouble. Plenty of potental for future cosmetic and mechancial upgrades too...great choice!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM

That's great! I am doing the same with my daughter...but not on her own car just yet. Gotta start early!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleaning 002.jpg (183.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Change 004.jpg (52.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Change 007.jpg (49.1 KB, 41 views)

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadair View Post
That's great! I am doing the same with my daughter...but not on her own car just yet. Gotta start early!
Those are great shots Toshi!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Update

Here are some pictures that show off what Jack and I did this winter to the '98 coupe:
  • slightly wider New Edge 8.8" rear with 3.90:1 gears and t-lok
  • Eibach springs
  • New Maximum Motorsports LCA's
  • 1.4" hubcentric rear spacers
  • S197 17" Bullitts & tires (10K mile take-offs from local CL for only $100!!!)

It's amazing what a new set of shoes and a drop will do to improve the look, doncha think? Next on the list is to pull the transmission for a rebuild, new clutch, then getting divorced dual exhaust. Being a dual-airbag V6, it should be a great first car for Jack for not too much coin.