Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM

Default SSP Interest?

A NYSP SSP just sold for 2K?!?!?!

I for one am upset that a car like that sold for chump change and even more upset that I am not as upset as I should be about it!

Where would you gauge your interest in SSP's/Mustangs/the hobby in general?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

I prefer CHP cars the most. They are unique with equipment that isn't generic like most all the other agencies.

Nevada and Texas are next on the list because of the paint schemes

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Assuming the car really did sell (it's amazing how many things on ePay get relisted after "selling" there)...I'm not too surprised by the selling price. It seemed to me from looking at the pics that it was going to take a lot of $$$$$ to bring that one back. Neat SSPs, though.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Given the amount of rust issues plaguing the car, I think it sold for a decent price. If you look at it another way, had it been a regular LX 5.0L nothchback (with the same amount of rust) it probably would not have gotten above $1K. So it being a SSP added 50% to its value. Hopefully it went to a new owner who wants it because it is a SSP and is up to the task of repairing the rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Where would you gauge your interest in SSP's/Mustangs/the hobby in general?
I'm not sure where you're headed with this question. Personally, I am a long-time Mustang guy who finally started to notice these old police package versions. Their unique history is what interests me. But I am a foolish owner because I will spend more money on resurrecting a car than it will ever be worth. If I was in it to make money, then I should have found one that has already been restored. That's OK though - I am really enjoying myself.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Bobby Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Given the amount of rust issues plaguing the car, I think it sold for a decent price. If you look at it another way, had it been a regular LX 5.0L nothchback (with the same amount of rust) it probably would not have gotten above $1K. So it being a SSP added 50% to its value. Hopefully it went to a new owner who wants it because it is a SSP and is up to the task of repairing the rust.

I'm not sure where you're headed with this question. Personally, I am a long-time Mustang guy who finally started to notice these old police package versions. Their unique history is what interests me. But I am a foolish owner because I will spend more money on resurrecting a car than it will ever be worth. If I was in it to make money, then I should have found one that has already been restored. That's OK though - I am really enjoying myself.
I agree 100% with both statements Bill made...

The car brought twice (or more) what a plain 5.0 coupe would have brought in same condition.

And like Bill I am also a life long mustang fan (especailly fox body coupes).
I really like the SSP's because they the most interesting;among the rarest (except of course the Saleens) and most rememberable from my younger (foolish) days :-) Guess that explains my fascination with the GSP's and desire to own a AL DPS. We used to do a little street racing (NOT ANYMORE) and we really feared the SSP Mustangs from Ga and AL.

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Bobby Edwards

One more note:
From a body mans perspective,
The rust you could see more than likely means there was a lot in places you could not. I seen a nice looking Missouri SSP had only small hole in quarter started from mud flaps. Once I looked at the car in person it had rust separating seams around strut towers; plate in fire wall where steering shaft passes through and most joints where unibody was welded together. This car was nice except those issues and the bad thing is those are the toughest ones because the ONLY way to fix those things is to cut it apart and replace the cancer... So that NYSSP probably is gonna be a lot more of a project than the new owner is realizing ( I hope who ever did get it makes the proper repairs).

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
...Gathering Parts

Rust is a painful thing for those of us that try to restore vehicles back to health. As has been stated, my body guy and I have both cut things out to fix a bad situation and then weld the proper repair in place. Those NYSP SSPs are a nightmare to restore but someone with the determination will make it happen. I know that I've had a fully rotted A coded LTD that I brought back from the dead basically and it is properly restored to what it is now. I know that I really don't want to do too many of those restorations like that anymore so I look for more solid candidates but there will still be rust.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're headed with this question.
I was more so interested in what everyone's temperature was for the hobby at the moment. The boards have seemed quiet for a while here and a couple other Fox related sites I visit.

I still have the same excitement for my car as the day I took delivery but I have dialed back my involvement in the hobby and, whether true or not, I get the feeling others may have as well.

As far as the NYSP car goes, it just shocked me a bit especially since they have sold for so much more in so much worse shape. It just seemed to go along with my impression that interest may presently be at a low point.

I realize I am generally an observer of other member's projects and posts but appreciate those that contribute and look forward to seeing progress on the cars here.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM

In the spirit of contributing something to the site and replying to the way my original post was interpreted, I have been crazy about Mustang's since getting in trouble for pretending to drive my Dad's 1988 Gt convertible company car. Always having been a fan of the unusual colors and options, I got the SSP bug after taking a look at an '84 CHP for sale. Years later I finally found the '82 I had lusted over and now have #0327 in my possession. I'm feeling a little better already!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Bobby Edwards

I feel what your saying. It does seem like everyone's just laying back not really getting involved like in the past. I know I have been also, especially since acquiring my 92 GSP and then my 83 GSP. Things are starting to come full circle and I'm getting more focused on my vision if you will. I can't save them all (truly wish I could). So I've made a determined effort to build my perfect collection(for me) one of every year GSP Mustangs used. From our research this should be 83; 88; 89; 90; 91 & 92... All I have left to acquire is an 89 & 91... So I'll probably be on the side lines watching with who ever else and hoping that the "basket cases go to good homes" and don't get hacked up or worse scrapped!!! But I have made a deal on a certain basket case 88 NYSP that I'm sure no one would be willing to tackle... :-)