Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Default New to SSP Forum

So I just bought a 1993 SSP car and can't believe how untouched this car is. I found it a bit comical that I even found a Krispy Kreme reciept under the passenger seat that was from back when it was in service. The car is straighter than eny fox body mustang I have ever owned and since it was not used as a highway patrol car, there are no holes in the dash. Even the original black ford driverside floor mat is unworn.

I was hoping for some ideas on how to find some history on the car. Fortunately, I have a head start on a lot of the data and there is a bunch of original paperwork that came with the car. I have heard that a build sheet came with every car but you just have to find it. I have owned dozens of fox bodies in the past and have never seen one... but I have never had one as untouched and stock as this one. So took out seats and carpet hoping to find the build sheet but no luck. Have many people managed to find a build sheet in their car or is it pretty rare?

Also, the car was delivered from ford all white but the local office in GA decided to paint the car LA blue as is written in the door jamb. Should I return the car back to its original white or should the car be left blue because that is part of its heritage as a police car?

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Admin

First off, welcome to the website. Second, if this is your car in the thread I linked below, it should give you a good start.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=3008

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM

Welcome! Post of some pictures when you have a chance.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the site Chris. At least you are aware that it's not a GSP as once claimed by the seller. The build sheet can be very elusive and most of us have never found one. If it needs a paint job, paint it back to white. If it doesn't leave it blue, just my 02.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Yes, this is the one indeed. I am impressed so far with this site. I must admit that the seller was more than up front with me that it was not a GSP car but just an SSP car that was used by the Clayton County Police... and that the plates and body clings were just for fun when he would go to car shows. It's no worse than people hacking up these cars and turning them into drag cars. And honestly, I wouldn't trade the car for a 91 GSP car b/c this one is nicer shape than most of the highway patrol cars I've seen.

Where I am puzzled is by the paint. I may give Clayton County a call and see if anyone knows any history on when the car was painted. Would the car be more correct in white only as it delivered from Ford? If Clayton County really used the car in blue, would it be better to leave it blue?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Admin

Chris,

Glad he was up front with you. It was posted elsewhere as a GSP car and he didn't correct the listing after the correct info was pointed out to him.

Many agencies repainted these cars during their service lives. As an example, the SSP that I was issued started out as a white, slicktop traffic unit car. The agency I worked for repainted it blue and issued it to me when I worked drugs.

I'd give them a call and maybe you can find out what the reason was for the repaint.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 PM

Here a few photos of the car (and I am sorry they are so big). The paint was in pretty rough shape originally as the clear coat was fairly dull and oxidized. With a little bit of TLC I would say it is an easy 8 out of 10. It is way better than the white paint on my 87 Texas DPS car. The car fax report read that it had been in a severe front end collision which I find peculiar since the front core support is perfect as well as the inner fender aprons and it still has the VIN sticker on the front bumper. In fact EVERY body panel still has the orginal VIN sticker on it.

Now that I have buffed out the body I have inspected the body closely and I can only find 5 small dings and one of these can be seen in the lower left part of the picture below. The car is very straight.

Here is the unmolested interior. Every lb of factory insulation was there and in tact and everything was date stamped correct. Even the carpet is original and looks in like new condition. The floor mat on the passenger side was mistakenly on the driver side and vise versa so the original date correct ford driver mat looks Perfect. And I love the black interior. I just am not a fan of the automatic... but it did average over 26mpg on the freeway bringing it home from Georgia.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM
It is what it is.

Wow...that car looks great. Congrats on the purchase.

Contacting the original agency is the best thing to do. You may luck into some inservice pictures as well as finding the history of the car while it was inservice.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM

and congrats on the new ssp !You are now hooked!

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Congrats, your SSP looks great!

1992 SSP
In service in Stem, NC (Department is now defunct)
Chief's Unmarked Car
Slowly making her way back to stock