Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Differential Rear Axles on Early SSPs

While putting more than 200 miles on 0327 this week, using it as a daily driver, I'm becoming concerned about the differential/rear axle. Sometimes starting out, or on slow turns when starting out, I hear clunking sounds. At speed it is making too much noise and there is a rubbing sound. I want to get everything mechanical in good shape before it goes to the paint shop and this has me concerned.

I know the 82's had issues with the rear ends. My question: What would any of you guys recommend I do to get this diagnosed and fixed? Are there shops that specialize in this? I don't have the knowledge or a hoist to get into it myself, and my regular mechanic shop does great tune ups, smog, and other routine work but they don't like to go off into tangents.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM

You may be having issues with axle bearings and/or clutch packs in the posi unit. Do you know when the last time the rear axle was serviced? If not, I would think about getting your car to a shop that specializes in rear end and driveline service and repairs. Here's one that I know of nearby that you can check out for yourself:

http://www.rearendspecialties.com/index.htm
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM

That's great information, Michael, thanks! I know right where these guys are, too, and since the paint shop is in the same area, I can take 0327 to RS first, then to the paint shop in the same trip.

I hope continuing to drive it now won't do it too much damage; on the other hand, all the clutches and wearable parts will have to be replaced anyway.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
VIN guru

The "auburn type" (1981-84) limited slip differential is much different than the 1985 and later limited slip differentials that we're used to. No replaceable clutches. Pre-load spring assembly is also unique and frankly, a piece of crap. You could replace with a 1985 and later diff and be on your way. At least then it would have replaceable clutches and a pre-load spring that won't explode and leave metal shrapnel in your carrier.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM

I have no idea if anything has ever been done to the differential.

That's something to consider seriously, changing out for an 85 or later differential; thanks for that suggestion, Mick. Would I have to change the whole axle, or just unbolt and swap out the diff portion?

I'd probably get an 85 or later, take everything to the shop and have them install it with new parts.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:56 PM

I did some web surfing for information and I think I would have to swap out the rear end to do that (replace with an 85 or later).

I found a rear end from an 88 GT on Craigslist, complete. Would that work?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Steve, check the diff cover for any fresh rtv sealant. I am 99% sure when I had the car worked on I had the fluid drained and replaced. If I didn't, shame on me but I am almost positive I did. I did not change the wheel bearings nor did I get into the drum brakes. There are quite a few things within the drums that could be making some noise. I'd recommend doing the rear bearings anyway. Fronts have already been done.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I did some web surfing for information and I think I would have to swap out the rear end to do that (replace with an 85 or later).

I found a rear end from an 88 GT on Craigslist, complete. Would that work?
That's an 8.8 rear end as opposed to your 7.5. It can definitely be done but for the sake of originality and retaining the slappers bar set-up, the 7.5 is the way to go. I believe '86 is the first year of the 8.8.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the advice Jon. I think next week when I take it in for the smog check I'll ask them to check out the brakes, bearings, and fluid. Better to start with the easy things before diving into a big project.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Never did the rear brakes because I believe they were in good shape. Looking forward to hearing of the fix.