Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Your experience as an SSP owner w/diff't Agencies

Thought I'd start off a thread that I cannot recall seeing in one contained thread here previously. The topic..."tell us about your experience interfacing with a specific agency during the endeavor to document a vehicle's history and/or return it to in-service specs as a collector/show vehicle". We've read various posts here over the years.

Some have been real good experiences, while some have not been so good and in some cases it differs depending upon the person contacted withing a specific agency. In my case I've had one degree of interaction or another with 4 different agencies: Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), North Carolina State Highway Patrol (NCSHP), Minnesota State Patrol (MNSP) and Michigan State Police (MSP).

I don't think that I've read about any legitimate collector/restorer in this hobby having a bad interaction with the MSHP. My experiences have been top notch and they are real supportive of those of us in the hobby. I've been fortunate enough to have established a good relationship with the Trooper who drove my 93 MSHP while it was in-service (he was just promoted to Captain this past summer). The last 2 Superintendents (Colonels) have provided me permission letters, the opprotunity to source emblems through their supplier and the latest permission letter extends of the life of my ownership of the vehicle. I can't say enough good things about them.

My route to making helpful contact with the NCSHP was an interesting round-a-bout way but he turned out to be helpful and as an equipment installer his memory was nothing short of amazing on how they equipped the SSPs. I was also given the opportunity to comb over and photograph at length their historic vehicles kept in Raleigh at the time (including the SSP). Not sure if he's still there as retirement was looming for him a couple years ago. I've heard from others about mixed experiences (both good and bad).

The MN State Patrol has an individual who's a real historic minded individual and maintains a website in that spirit. He was exceedingly helpful and real pleasant to deal with. Similarly I've heard of people who have had mixed experiences, but again I think it real boils down to the individual contact we make and as is sometimes mentioned "some are car guys and some are not and those who are not don't really get this whole hobby". Bob can chime in on his experiences with the MN State Patrol.

With regard to the Michigan State Police thus far my interactions are primiarly limited to those I've had at various car events I've had one of the SSPs at. In some cases Troopers have been there in official capacity and in some case outside of their work time. All of those interactions have been very positive. From my discussions with evocbruce he indicated having had real positive interactions with them and that is evident by the historical documentation and items he received during the restoration.

It would be interesting to hear from others on the forum on your experiences too...thanks in advance for sharing.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM

I can’t say enough about the Alabama DPS, great group of guys and super helpful. I had some great interactions at the 45th but last February when I took the car down to Montgomery I really hit the jackpot. I spent the whole day meeting troopers the drove the cars, saw their photos, heard their stories, etc. To top it off I received the final few pieces of equipment I needed too. It was really one of the best days I have ever had in my SSP, a post cannot describe it.

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H
1991 SSP Georgia State Patrol Perm/Trunk #1195, Roof/Badge/Tag #813
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Default California Highway Patrol

My experience with the CHP has been what I consider "indirect". I have had fair-to-moderate success in getting Assignment Cards from Robert Read at the CHP. Not all of the cards are still around, and communication is sometimes extended, but we've gotten a few cards. Robert also sells some CHP-specific equipment.

We've also been able to confirm a car's CHP Unit Number by requesting a registration history from California DMV, as discussed here:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2676

In this situation, the first owner has been listed on the report, and includes the first license plate number, which is the car's CHP Unit Number.

Some CHP owners are also members of the CHP forum, where we've read in-service stories by the officers who drove these cars. Who knows what connections may be obtained through this kind of access.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM

I bought my CHP car in Idaho and have no doubt that if it were a Idaho ssp car
i would have already met up with the driver / drivers of the car and would have
been invited to multiple family functions and depending on their ages i would have
been made the Godfather of their child..........No?
a little too much? ok.....well No i have not had Any positive experience in talking to
CHP because it's a big machine that has no idea why you would restore a Police car!
(the lawyer in their heads are sure you have Ulterior Motives for asking Anything)
on the other hand. showing the car at local car shows and listening to all the Official
know it all types. On Occasion i run into a Retired CHP officer that is happy to see
a former CHP car that has been restored. so to answer your question No...No help.
it's this group that has helped me. it's use guys (as they say in the East cost) that
have been here to help me when i need it.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

I haven't had any experiences yet, but other than trying to get the assigment card for my CHP(which was one Bill was unable to get cause it's gone ), there isn't much else I could obtain from the CHP(pertaining to my car).

Like Andy said, this group has helped me alot in learning about the history of many different SSPs.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks guys....keep the posts coming . It will be interesting to see how many different agencies we can cover here. This could be a good reference for people in the future at a minimum with some contacts on the forum to reach out to who might be able to help point in the right direction.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM
...Gathering Parts

Idaho has been pretty helpful in confirming information on the cars they used. I have been able to piece together the history fairly well but it's hit or miss with their timing since they are a relatively small department and are very busy but when you call or email they do try to get back to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Michigan was great to deal with. No issues getting a permission letter or display the car marked as a representative of the agency. They also gave me permission to use their "hood stop sign" on my restoration.

Missouri treated me like one of their own in every way.
Colorado treated me like one of their own.
Idaho was very helpful.
Georgia was very helpful.
Pennsylvania was very helpful.
California was very helpful.
Oregon was very helpful.
Sherwood PD was very helpful.
Washington was very helpful.
Texas was very helpful.

Certain FHP personell were outstanding, helpful, and great to work with.
Certain FHP individuals were total dicks.

Bottom line is that any of these agencies will help out:
if they can
if they want to
if they are allowed to
if you act like you have common sense
if you don't act like someone that wants to play with your lights etc.

It only takes one idiot among us to screw it up for those that follow.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Michigan was great to deal with. No issues getting a permission letter or display the car marked as a representative of the agency. They also gave me permission to use their "hood stop sign" on my restoration.

Missouri treated me like one of their own in every way.
Colorado treated me like one of their own.
Idaho was very helpful.
Georgia was very helpful.
Pennsylvania was very helpful.
California was very helpful.
Oregon was very helpful.
Sherwood PD was very helpful.
Washington was very helpful.
Texas was very helpful.

Certain FHP personell were outstanding, helpful, and great to work with.
Certain FHP individuals were total dicks.

Bottom line is that any of these agencies will help out:
if they can
if they want to
if they are allowed to
if you act like you have common sense
if you don't act like someone that wants to play with your lights etc.

It only takes one idiot among us to screw it up for those that follow.
I have heard that multiple times about FHP, I'm really suprised that they would be that way to a fellow LEO. It's also funny because there are more retored FHP SSP's out there then any other agency.

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H
1991 SSP Georgia State Patrol Perm/Trunk #1195, Roof/Badge/Tag #813
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM

AZ is no help at all.
82 CHP Unit#870366
86 TX DPS M6-380