Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 AM

Question lew 94

HI, I'm a newbie from Ga. My name is Reese. I have a 91 LX Coupe 5.0.I am the second owner, had it since 1993.I had a Street Terminator Lentech AOD recently put in and it works exactly like Len said it would, with a 2400 stall converter it perked the 302 up.Anyone have any feedback on a rear gear.It presently ha stock 2:73s. I have heard everything from 3:27 to 4:56 for my combination.My mechanic recommends 3:27 since it doesn't have a lock up converter in OD and the rpm is a little higher in OD.Any ideas are welcomed.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Reese, welcome to the forum!

Is your 91 coupe an SSP? If so, do you know it's history?

Regarding gear choice, it depends upon your intended use. Will it strictly be a 1/4 mile racer, or will it have split duties on the street as well. What engine mods do you have and how much HP is it making? If you're looking for 1/4 mile performance, you'll also want to take into consideration the rear tire diameter and how it determines the final effective gear ratio. A taller tire (or drag radial) will reduce the numeric value of your gears. Dont' underestimate this - my taller rear 255/60R15 BFG's would reduce 3.73:1 gears to 3.59:1 gearing.

Once you know your final effective gear ratio for a given diameter rear tire, then you can look at your axle choices to optimize your top non-overdrive transmission gear for maxing out while hitting the traps.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up

No mine is not a SSP, just a plain LX Coupe, but it is the only Lx Coupe in Augusta in a plain white wrapper.Mine has never been on a drag strip.It's been pampered most of its life, been ran but not abused.I have "rolled off" against a few cars on the street.But I have been very careful, hard to explain to the cops being a middle aged man.I have 245/50/16 tires and have worked out several ratios in OD for a good street gear.I have the wide ratio gear set in the AOD,with the looser converter, which helps a lot.My motor is stock except for a Cobra intake and 1.7 rockers and an off-road h pipe.Thanks for the input.
Later, Reese
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew 94 View Post
No mine is not a SSP, just a plain LX Coupe, but it is the only Lx Coupe in Augusta in a plain white wrapper.Mine has never been on a drag strip.It's been pampered most of its life, been ran but not abused.I have "rolled off" against a few cars on the street.But I have been very careful, hard to explain to the cops being a middle aged man.I have 245/50/16 tires and have worked out several ratios in OD for a good street gear.I have the wide ratio gear set in the AOD,with the looser converter, which helps a lot.My motor is stock except for a Cobra intake and 1.7 rockers and an off-road h pipe.Thanks for the input.
Later, Reese
IMO, I'd suggest going with 3.73:1 gears. That's a very good ratio, yet not too short (higher numeric value). Since these trannies have a good OD cog, the shorter gears are less of a problem than say in a more Classic Mustang.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
UASSP

Guess I'll be the first to say it...... this is a purist SSP site not a "hot rod" forum. Let's keep it that way please.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspony87 View Post
Guess I'll be the first to say it...... this is a purist SSP site not a "hot rod" forum. Let's keep it that way please.
I realize that the OP's car isn't an SSP, but he posted a reasonable question without causing a fuss. I thought this was an SSP "enthusiast" site. If the members here are strictly purists, then I don't think they'll like what I've done with CHP #8395 - I had the drip rail molding painted body color instead of leaving it stainless.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspony87 View Post
+ a gazzillion

there are lots of sites out there like corral, 4eyedpride, ssporg. etc where you can engage in the hot rodding stuff. This site is mainly for those of us that live and breath ssp cars.....

your welcome to be a member and hang out, maybe we can get you to find an ssp to tinker with.

Bill I am concerned about your paint ethics......

PS...yes my avatar is a one off 09 gt500 with the special police pursuit interceptor graphics package.... sshhh its a secret....

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Admin

I see both sides....OP isn't here causing any problems, just asking for advice on the car he is modding. Personally, I'd take issue with it if it were an SSP that he was modding, but he isn't.

I have a bigger problem with clones and "tribute" cars myself, but I also see Joe H.'s point. This place was established on the premise of a "purist" site, but moreso for the preservation and restoration of the cars. This, unfortunately, occurs in different degrees. I think I've come to the point that as long as a car is being saved, I'm AOK with it.

Plus, we don't have any wanna-be types on here talking about fake pursuits, decked out Crown Vics (or other package vehicles), or playing with their lights and sirens and LEDs. I think it's all good.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
CHiPster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
...fake pursuits, decked out Crown Vics (or other package vehicles), or playing with their lights and sirens and LEDs. I think it's all good.
What are you talking about... Isn't that only for real COPS while on the job.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Bill I am concerned about your paint ethics......
You know me - always causing trouble! I'm surprised that y'all still talk to me for running 10-holes on a 4-eye! I'd still like to find a way to run the steel wheels with the larger front brakes that are on my SSP.