Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Congrats on the purchase, that car was tempting me to buy it and make another cross country trip.

1987 CHP E422920
1988 CHP (sold)
1989 LX Hatch 5.0
1992 UHP
1995 Cobra
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 AM

your unit is E895328
typhoon intake, bbk cold air intake, professional products 70tb and egr
c&L 73mm mass air
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Great save! Glad it made the trip back to CA. What are your plans for the car?
Im really not sure yet. I would like to paint it original black and white and do my best to get it to original, but I also wan to drive it on weekends or holidays and Im not sure what is allowed without the CHP giving me trouble. I guess I have to do a bit of research!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Sweet! Glad someone saved it from being turned into something it shouldn't be

Looks like the door was replaced. When the cars were repainted before the CHP sold them on their car lot, generally the door tags were taped off, and door jams left unsanded before paint(unit # readable). The CHP office auto tech where the car served most likely put the reflective tape on the replacement door, pretty sure it was something every CHP vehicle had to have.
My dad has a twin to this car. You can see it in one of the recent threads I have posted.

What are your plans in the long run? You can't find out where a vehicle served unless you have the unit number or the plate(last four digits are the same), then only hope the assignment card still exists.

Can you run VINs on Carfax? Pretty sure you can... I have a 92 GT that needs to be run if thats ok?

You don't find many as nice as the one you bought, especially with the "CHP Repaint"
I have heard of the infamous CHP Repaint haha. I bought a pack of VIN runs from CarFax but I used up 4 during my hunt and promised the last to my buddy. But I have unlimited PLATE runs for the next 3 weeks still! If you guys have plates just list them or PM me and I will be more than happy to run them for you.

P.S. If anyone comes across my original door out there let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
First off - welcome to the forum. Your SSP looks very nice, and I bet you enjoyed every mile on the way home. Using some of your pictures, I created a page for your car in our VIN Project:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info111876.htm

In terms of that bar code, I know that Toshi's 93 CHP Mustang has a similar bar code, but with only 8 numbers:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info111908.htm

And if you can run some CARFAX reports by VIN, I have a few and Bobby aka kapracing has several as well. Let us know and we will send you the numbers. I appreciate your kind offer.
Thanks for adding me to the registry! Like I posted above, only have PLATE runs left, sorry. If you have the plates let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John10608 View Post
Welcome and congrats on the save !
You have a good CHP Mustang there and I am sure you'll make her even better !

I remember those bar codes were for auto theft purposes if I am correct.
Correct me guys if I am wrong.
They came out about 1992 and were on all body parts of cars. It was an easier way to identify if parts were stolen if those codes did not match on the rest of the car or were missing / destryoed.
That is all I remember about those small stickers. They were for auto theft purposes for body parts on cars.
Mine are all pinted over on my car, but still there.
If I remember right, if they are removed, it destroys the numbers on the sticker. Makes them gray so you can tell it has been tampered with.

Wish I'd known you were driving through. I am in Medford Oregon.
Could have met up with you and showed you my 1992 CHP mustang and checked out your car.

Nice picture of your car at the base of Anderson Grade at the i-5 rest stop before Yreka there. Hope you had a great view of Mt. Shasta !!

Keep us posted on the progress !
Congrats !
John
I would have loved to see a restored 92! Wish I had posted that I was going to make the trip, I was just so nervous about someone else sneaking in before me I had tunnel vision on my trip And it was a fantastic view, would have been cool to take a few pics at that turnout with your car! Maybe next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va 5.0 View Post
Congrats on the purchase, that car was tempting me to buy it and make another cross country trip.
Glad you didnt beat me to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
your unit is E895328
How do you know this?!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 AM

FORD MUSTANG 1993 12/20/1996 08:26 a.m. P BN297211C under plate E895328
FORD MUSTANG 1993 12/20/1996 08:26 a.m. P BN297211C under vin#1FACP40E3PF111876

the smog certificates has the same numbers which means your car is unit 5328
typhoon intake, bbk cold air intake, professional products 70tb and egr
c&L 73mm mass air
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM

lol Your original door has probably been shipped to Japan from a wrecking yard and melted down YEARS ago.
Very small chance it COULD be the original door, but doubtful.
Do the numbers on that painted over bar code on the door match any other bar codes on your car ?

In CA it is against the law to drive any vehicle painted black and white
( white doors ) looking like a police car or law wnforcement vehicle.
You can how ever paint the roof white and the rest of the car all black, add clear spot lights and all antennas if you want and they look stealthy and really cool that way.
This is what I would do IF I were to buy another CHP SSP.
I am looking at an 88 here in Medford.

How is the interior ? I have enough material left over from my car to upholster another mustang. My upholsterer had me order way too much when he did my car.

Good luck on your car and keep us posted !
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Very nice save and welcome!!

86 CHP Unit #3852
86 Texas DPS M6-383
93 Texas DPS M3-379
93 Cobra Teal #2304 (sold)
03 Cobra 10th Annv.Conv.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 AM

Thumbs up 93 CHP SSP

welcome nice save there
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
FORD MUSTANG 1993 12/20/1996 08:26 a.m. P BN297211C under plate E895328
FORD MUSTANG 1993 12/20/1996 08:26 a.m. P BN297211C under vin#1FACP40E3PF111876

the smog certificates has the same numbers which means your car is unit 5328
I dont understand. What smog certificates are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John10608 View Post
lol Your original door has probably been shipped to Japan from a wrecking yard and melted down YEARS ago.
Very small chance it COULD be the original door, but doubtful.
Do the numbers on that painted over bar code on the door match any other bar codes on your car ?

In CA it is against the law to drive any vehicle painted black and white
( white doors ) looking like a police car or law wnforcement vehicle.
You can how ever paint the roof white and the rest of the car all black, add clear spot lights and all antennas if you want and they look stealthy and really cool that way.
This is what I would do IF I were to buy another CHP SSP.
I am looking at an 88 here in Medford.

How is the interior ? I have enough material left over from my car to upholster another mustang. My upholsterer had me order way too much when he did my car.

Good luck on your car and keep us posted !
I was hoping there would be a loophole for a previous CHP, future show car I would prefer to paint it original black and white but if I have to i will settle for all black
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_ssp View Post
I dont understand. What smog certificates are you talking about?
The State of California has some smog information available through their website:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/ve...pubtstqry.aspx

It is really "hit or miss" when you search for a car by license plate number or VIN. Their site also seems to be inconsistent too. My 1985 CHP used to turn up in a search, but not lately. The site also used to identify the location where the car was smogged. In terms of what Aaron supplied you, he had typed in VINs and likely CHP e-plate numbers, kept a list of the "hits", and then cross-referenced the smog certificate numbers to see if any matched. That was QUITE an undertaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_ssp View Post
I was hoping there would be a loophole for a previous CHP, future show car I would prefer to paint it original black and white but if I have to i will settle for all black
There are no loopholes for a car that is driven on the roads in California. You can own a fully restored show car, but it must be trailered everywhere. IIRC, you may even be stopped and questioned if the car is on an open trailer, so know the rules and be prepared. Since you want to be able to drive your SSP, then you will need to rethink your options as John suggested.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 AM

^^^ Very cool! I didnt even know there was a smog database. Thanks a lot then 93chipper! Now how do I go about getting my assignment card??