Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
Sounds good Matt! Any progress pictures of the new equipment?

I don't have any pictures right now but when I get home next time I will get some of all the equipment I have so far.. and all progress pictures as well. I need to find me a good manual 80's passenger side door. mine has some rot in it that is DEEP.

Any progress on your 85 Tx DPS?

Matt
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM

I just keep getting little pieces here and there for my Ne car. I just need 1 antenna, 2 lightbar antenna mounts (making those), a scanner, a CB radio and a tray to mount them in and I will have all the parts I need to complete the equipment in the car.

I am very excited about this. I just have to get the front fixed and the enitre car painted and then it will be all good.

Matt
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Got a question on the lightbar mounting?

What would be the bvest way to do it so that it is removable as I will drive this car often or almost daily as there is no reason not to. At least until I can get another non-ssp daily driver that is. Nebraska mounted their antenna and light bar cords outside running up the windshield trim. I know I can get some more windshiled trim and keep the "wired" ones in the trunk for when they are not on for show but I would like to have the bar opperational when at shows. I can run it how Tx DPS did by going into the cabin by way of the passenger door. This way I can have plugs there so the bar can be removed. The wire on the outter trim will be dummy wires just for look and not function.

Just thinking out loud as I like to drive my mustangs on the street and I do not want to drive it with the bar on it. I know I was thinking about mounting it perm and having my Mother make a black vinyl cover for it with OUT OF SERVICE in white on it and still run clear or amber lenses on the domes if the cover were removed. That way there is no issue with "diplaying COLORS" anytime. The decals will be magnetic until the day where the car becomes a "SHOW ONLY" car and at that point the decals will be covered if driving to an event.

Any thoughts?

Matt
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Matt,
I have been working on that problem for some time. I was routing the cable down the right windshield and pulling it throught to the open area of the front of the right door and then through a vent opening to the inside where I used connectors on each wire. It was a bitch pulling it through as the guys at WFC show can attest to. The smaller connectors were needed as there wasn't room pulling it to door opening and they were staggered. David (DJP55) may have a better idea as he has a 93 Neb also. I still working on a better way. Good luck.
1993 Nebraska State Patrol SSP unit#3133
1986 Utah Hyway Patrol slicktop SSP
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol slicktop SSP
1983 Idaho State Police slicktop SSP
Old 01-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM

1five3 has a nice setup with is 93 MO. Maybe he'll post pics or I'll see if I have any. He runs the cable through the passenger door frame and has a quick disconnect plug mounted on the passenger side headliner.

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever
Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangretriever View Post
1five3 has a nice setup with is 93 MO. Maybe he'll post pics or I'll see if I have any. He runs the cable through the passenger door frame and has a quick disconnect plug mounted on the passenger side headliner.
That is more what I am looking to do. I will have the front glass trim with the fake cables on it for the show but still route the lightbar for show only use inside that way it can be removed and transported in the vehicle when on at the shows.

I know Roman has his setup something like that too. Nebraska just ran the antennas for the CB and the scanner up the driver side winshield trim and the passenger side windshield trim was the lightbar/siren...

If you have some pics that would be great...

Matt
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

My suggestion...

Mount the lightbar permanently. First...Jetsonics are heavy to take on and off. You run the risk of damaging some part of the car or lightbar if you drop it. Try getting some poor quality yellowed domes that aren't cracked...prime and paint them satin black...and letter those with Not In Service if desired. That should cover you legally. They are easy to change out.

The cable goes down the passenger side A pillar. The wire clips can be bought at Home Deot..I have extras if you need them. They were originally riveted I believe. I removed my lightbar on the NE SSP due to NH new lightbar law. I now run Federal Signal deck strobes.

Pic Link: http://public.fotki.com/david0855/19...p/img0791.html
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Admin

Matt,

+1 for the quick connect, if you are going the DD route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP55 View Post
I removed my lightbar on the NE SSP due to NH new lightbar law. I now run Federal Signal deck strobes.
David,

I saw your post on .org about the new "permit" law awhile back, but blue lights in your state (display or use, whether lightbar or not) has been on the books for awhile.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/...266/266-74.htm

It looks like the new Saf-C 3215, for inspections and permits, makes a distinction between non-emergency and "warning lights". There's a good explanation of it here:
http://www.nhostservices.com/notices.html

"Emergency lights" (red and blue), per Saf-C 3215.02, can only be on authorized emergency vehicles.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/saf-c3200.html
Quote:
(2) Blue lights and white or clear colored strobe lights for:

a. Law enforcement vehicles;

b. Police cruisers; and

c. Private vehicles of law enforcement officers, in accordance with the requirements of RSA 266:74, II.
It looks like they are really cracking down there.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Talking

You are correct...(sirens are illegal too) but for hobbyists...as long as lights were covered and inoperable ( I always remove the fuses) it was not an issue as they were not exposed. This was a ruling I got directly from DMV Highway Patrol and the DMV Director. I was a former NH DMV employee as a member and Chairman of the NH Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board (Lemon Law ) and that was a big help.

The new Rules are part of NH State inspection. As such..the mere installation of the lights, operable or not irregardless of color, will not allow you to have an inspection sticker unless you have a permit. That makes the car undrivable on NH roads. I appealed to the DMV Director...and she informed me there are no exceptions to the State Inspection Rules.