Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
1992 SCHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
speaking of mustang police cars......

I am putting a quote together for my agency to purchase three "specialty" vehicles for our traffic unit. I convinced them to look at Mustang GT's and Dodge Chargers. Being the supervisor in charge of the unit I get one of the cars myself.

The Hemi is a beast...however if I can convince them to stay with a Ford Product I will enjoy driving my 08 Mustang GT at work.....

If you are the supervisor, then you know what you need to do.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimustang View Post
Oh really? Then how come they tested Volvo S70's back in 99? They arent police package volvos...?
Volvo may not have called them police package but they had many unique things not available elsewhere.
To begin with they were T5's but without most of the luxury features found in those models(leather,trip computers,etc.)
I had three of them after they were retired from CHP and getting them serviced or ordering parts was always an adventure. From various mechanical parts to such simple things as door panels, these cars were anything but a stock T5. Volvo took parts from one model as well as some parts the Volvo dealer had no idea even existed and created a unique package.
One example is some of the skid protectors, or whatever they called them that were plastic on normal cars but these were made of steel, something the Volvo techs. had never seen before.
I'd probably have kept one but it seemed like every time I drove one a different warning light would come on or something would break. This followed CHP's experience with the cars, the records for these cars were 2-3 times as thick as a normal patrol vehicle
Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM

No wonder CHP phased them out QUICKLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Volvo may not have called them police package but they had many unique things not available elsewhere.
To begin with they were T5's but without most of the luxury features found in those models(leather,trip computers,etc.)
I had three of them after they were retired from CHP and getting them serviced or ordering parts was always an adventure. From various mechanical parts to such simple things as door panels, these cars were anything but a stock T5. Volvo took parts from one model as well as some parts the Volvo dealer had no idea even existed and created a unique package.
One example is some of the skid protectors, or whatever they called them that were plastic on normal cars but these were made of steel, something the Volvo techs. had never seen before.
I'd probably have kept one but it seemed like every time I drove one a different warning light would come on or something would break. This followed CHP's experience with the cars, the records for these cars were 2-3 times as thick as a normal patrol vehicle
Proud owner of the vehicles:
1989 Ocala FL SSP unmarked drug enforcement unit
1989 Mustang GT (5 speed conversion)
1990 FHP unit - SOLD
1991 Davie, FL SSP #142 - SOLD
2014 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI