Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Default New job

Well, I finallly made it out of the pizza business and into the Mustang business. I started working with Matt at Fox Mustang Restoration full time this week. I know a lot of you probabaly already thoguht I did but, I have actually just been hanging out soaking things up. He has gotten to the point that things are too busy for his current staff and I was able to secure a position with him that covers my bills and allows me to play with cars all day !!

We are already working on a lot of new things, including several in house reproduction parts that take the current aftermarket quality a step further. The list of things we want to do is longer than Brittany Spears rap sheet so I am sure it will take some time but we are all over it.

You are all officially on notice- no more ordering from Late Model Restoration supply. We have everything that they have at better prices and better quality so pick up the phone or hit the website (my first job is to revamp the site) and check it out. www.foxresto.com

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/horseplayauto/
Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Admin

Congrats, Matt. Sounds like an awesome job.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Cool deal Matt! Now I can say I know someone in the business.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Congrats to you and congratsto Matt and no we can say Hell no to 50resto!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 AM

I have always received great service, quick shipping, and very freindly assistance from 5.0 Resto so I am not sure I understand the direction you are going with that......

congrats on the new job. If you want to make a difference and not sell all the same stuff that everyone else sells.....

then repop 85-86 centercaps, CORRECT exhaust, vascar cables, ground straps, Gatorback tires, 10 hole wheels, certified speedos, and all the other hard to find (without paying idiotic prices for) stuff..

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Goodwill Ambassador

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
I have always received great service, quick shipping, and very freindly assistance from 5.0 Resto so I am not sure I understand the direction you are going with that......

congrats on the new job. If you want to make a difference and not sell all the same stuff that everyone else sells.....

then repop 85-86 centercaps, CORRECT exhaust, vascar cables, ground straps, Gatorback tires, 10 hole wheels, certified speedos, and all the other hard to find (without paying idiotic prices for) stuff..

BOOM!
Not a bad observation, Jim.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:

then repop 85-86 centercaps (without paying idiotic prices for) stuff..

YES!........Everyone has been asking where they can buy these hats!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 PM

Now thats funny....

I know this guy Bernie that does greeeat center caps, maybe I can get you in touch with him.
I have a large personal stash of ten holes, you need E5s, E7s or F0s?
Correct exhaust has been a dream of mine for years, maybe some day.

As for the rest of the parts we are all at the mercy of the market and it isn't getting any cheaper. We do have some nice SSP locksets in stock but they were not cheap to us either unfortunately. Consider your requests noted.

We are all about making reproduction parts better. I never had any problems at 5.0 resto either but they arent known for their correctness and they definitely dont carry the best product available.

Can I interest you in a new rear package tray? Coming soon, very soon.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:

Well I see where a lot of the issues are with them....I was actually friends with Shannon back when he started and helped him on a few things but he quickly forgot who helped him and got a big head and bigger attitude....on top of that he is notorious for advertising things he doesn't have to "bait" people in to call and hopefully get them to order something else which isn't an honest business practice in my book. He also pirated images of my SVO from my website and used them in his catalog and on his website without my permission...and not a single part on that car came from him. I actually used to sell my SVO header panel to them but cut them off for various reasons.

There are only a certain number of parts suppliers out there and we ALL get our parts from the same people for the most part. The difference in a parts vendor though is integrity in what they are willing to sell....for example, I REFUSE to sell the Reproduction Dash Pads and beltline weatherstrips for the 79-86 cars...simply because "I" am not happy with the quality and therefore feel that the customer likely won't be happy either. I have no problem giving an honest description about parts good or bad and in my opinion "just because it's available....doesn't mean it's worth a flip!" and I don't accept the fact that "it's the only thing available" and use it....I'd rather search out an NOS dash pad and pay through the nose for it than have a pad on a car that looks like a dead fish with all the waves and fitment issues.

it's really easy to sit back and put up a list of things you want reproduced....but reality hits with the market size and demand. I see absolutely zero demand for reproduction 10 holes considering how many are out there and the ease of having them refinished...tooling for that would be quite expensive and you would never get a return on investment.

Ground straps....I personally looked into this and when mentioned I got far less than a lukewarm response so it is on hold. I have a set and have sourced much of the needed pieces needed but I'm not loaded and just can't see a sound business reason why I should make them from a ROI perspective.

I've got a long history with SVOs and parts reproduction....I make a handful of parts for the SVOs and did so for the love of the hobby....9 years later I still have not recovered some of my mold costs for some of the things I've made and learning from that I cannot justify jumping into some of the SSP parts. Sorry but that's the reality of things.....That could change but it's not as easy as people think to reproduce parts sometimes. The SVO guys are dying for a reproduction RH outer marker light....that demand is 100 times more than SSP Ground straps yet the cost to tool it and produce it has kept everyone from taking it on because the market is small and the ROI is a very long term prospect IF it happens.....Granted ground straps are a lot easier than that light but when I brought it up long ago elsewhere I didn't get a single response with interest. Of Course I am using the ground straps as an example but it applies to other parts as well.

Congrats on the new Job Matt....had you been in my backyard you probably would have had a job a couple years ago ....good help is impossible to find.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

Ditto to what Paul said, well spoken as usual. As an SVO owner, I have seen the parts he made for them first hand and always wondered how he was getting his money back on them. I know that Daniel Carpenter is not real hot on the SVO parts anymore and he will be very hesitant to reproduce any in the future, that does not bode well for any of the other niche Mustangs either. Bringing parts to the table is always a gamble and when the tooling costs become a serious commitment it is enough to make or break your business. Lots of people will commit to buying them, but not as many actually shell out the bucks when it is time to pay up, leaving people like Paul footing the bill. If tooling costs can be kept low then it is a chance worth taking, otherwise it is a better business move to sell what is available.

We have several restoration processes, like side molding restoration- that is so labor intensive that we arent making money on it or dont have the time to do them, it is a constant struggle to balance the time and the return on investment.