Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 AM

Default Texas DPS SSP M7-400

Check out the picture progress on my cardomain site.

CLICK_HERE

knocking some of these things out! RED = ITEMS COMPLETE BOLD = ITEMS WORK IN PROGRESS!

Completed some more items this weekend... The car should be ready to drive this weekend. I hope all goes well. I will be installing the equipment this weekend for pictures as well. Hopefully some one here might want to take this car on as a further project to complete the restoration when I am complete with it. It will only need a few small things when I am done with it. A good black paint job on the fenders doors and 1/4's for the Texas DPS look or just fresh white paint.

1. Get car home (1100 mile round trip)
2. Get red interior parts to replace what is missing or wrong (still working on that).
3. replace the rear end existing one was damaged as previous owner swapped it to a freind who messed the current one up.
4. Install antennas to fill holes in body.
5. Install spotlight
6. Replace the gauge cluster with correct one (mileage within 2K of original).
7. Get red seats that match original interior (swapped gray for red out of a 87 coupe)

8. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
9. Replace the front bumper cover.
10. Replace A/C equipment and charge (all missing including damaged the evaporator core).
11. New tires with black wheels.
12. New engine as current one not correct and really dirty. Don't want to chance it not working when completed.

13. Title, registration and inspection.
14. New catalytic convertors
15. Rebuild transmission
16. Refurbish side moldings as they were missing and install

17. Install trunk pieces.
18. Spare tire and tools.
19. Tailpipes welded to catback.
20. Install interior DPS items (easier for next person to restore and show the car).
21. Install new water pump and timing chain.
22. Intall new belt and hoses.
23. Replace all fluids.
24. Install radio.

More to come. I am also going through the under dash wiring and re-looming everything so there will be no issues what so ever when completed.

Matt
Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Wiring just about done I just need to go through and loom the wiring. I have run a loose round of E-tape around the wires to group them back up but will have them wrapped in loom soon to protect them from any damage outside of there being a wire fire or some sort of catastrophic clutch cable failure.

Oh I found the dash pad that I had in storage for this car as the original was cracking and broken. This car will be nice for the next owner. I will also have most of the equipment to go with the car if the decide to show it and put it back to an "IN-SERVICE" look.

The door handle on the passenger side came in on Saturday and is now installed. All the trim is on the doors, quarters and fenders. The rest is just final setup, re-installation of belt, hoses, waterpump, timing chain, fluids and a good cleaning... Then I will take it to the inspection station have it inspected and then to DMV for Title and registration.

The A/C items are all in and now just waiting to have the system re-charged and then the new tires to be installed... I guess I will have some nice new powder coated ten holes for this car as I will be sending a set off to be done once I get this car sold.

I will need another set for my "FINAL" 1987 Texas DPS SSP. This car will be finished and taken to shows by my Wife.

Matt
Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Admin

Sounds like you are making some good progress. Maybe we can do a Texas resto section next?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Sounds like you are making some good progress. Maybe we can do a Texas resto section next?
Thanks, Mike.

Progress is coming, slowly sometimes but there is progress. I hope to have this car on the ground and running this weekend. Like most weekends though that is all up in the air right now and we'll see...

I hope so... Between the info that resides on Tony's fotki site, in his head as well as Roman and Tom there should be a good source for this document.

Matt
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM

More progress... The dash is back in along with new connectors at several points. The clean up behind the dash to get wires away from sharp edges was successful as well as getting the new speedometer cable installed.

The car stll needs to be cleaned and the exhaust and driveshaft installed. Then the last thing to do is get the new tires/wheels installed, engine wiring completed along with having the entire car buffed out and every last nut and bolt checked for proper torque that didn't already have that completed.

These SSP's sure look good in the white body with black trim around them and black wheels. Just SHARP if you ask me.

I am also installing all the extra equipment I got for this car just in case the new owner would like to have all the equipment with the car. That way there will be pictures of it in with the equipment that can be purchased with the car at additional cost.

Pictures coming SOON!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 PM

More progress on the car this weekend. I am nearing the cleanup phase. I still have a little bit of engine work to do as the waterpump and hoses that need to be changed. I will do that Monday evening as well as the timing chain. That will be a small chore but the satisfaction of the car having a new waterpump, timing chain and thermostat will go along way. Hopefully I can get it all cleaned up as I go. I will need to spend some quality cleaning time under the hood as well.

The A/C needs to get charged, tailpipes welded to the mufflers as well as the tires installed on the powder coated wheels. This car will be a head turner before restoration and then a real head turner once completed.

I hope I can get it most of the way done this week in the evenings as I would like to have Saturday and Sunday as shakedown days. We'll see.

Check the pictures on the site in my signature! Page 9 or just click on the car in the signature. Updated pictures at the bottom.

Matt
Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 AM

Well nothing really changed this weekend as relatives came in unexpectedly. I did get the wheels and tires done so there are fresh tires and brand new powder coated ten holes on it. I have to remove a spring compressor the previous owner left in the drivers side front spring and then the suspension is done. I have to bleed the brakes and the braking system is done for now. I may have to do some brake work once it is running and driving. The bottom end will get some work done to it this evening to get that all buttoned up so that it can hit the ground and be ready for a trial run this weekend and for the inspection.

Matt
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM

Noticed something while under the car yesterday and may need to pull the transmission and see why the clutch fork has no slack with the cable not on it. I just got the exhaust on and was going to button up the bottom of the car and saw that and now I said I will finish up the engine compartment and then get back under it tomorrow and Friday. I need to get this thing finished up and to a new owner...

Here are a few shots of its GUTS hanging out!

The front of the engine goes back together tomorrow with all the new stuff. As you can see the new timing chain set is in and waiting to be covered back up by the cover and water pump.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87 TXDPS_01-09-07_03_smaller.JPG (160.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 87 TXDPS_01-09-07_01_smaller.JPG (165.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 87 TXDPS_01-09-07_02_smaller.JPG (112.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Resident Geezer

Hey Matt, that is what we call an "Experienced" engine compartment with "Character" right? It's been ages since I attacked the timing chain and gears on a 5.0. I need to do it on my '89 SCHP. Couple of questions please - If you wrestle it correctly do you have to drop the front end of the oil pan or not? What brand/type chain and gears did you get? Thanks

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmrkd View Post
Hey Matt, that is what we call an "Experienced" engine compartment with "Character" right? It's been ages since I attacked the timing chain and gears on a 5.0. I need to do it on my '89 SCHP. Couple of questions please - If you wrestle it correctly do you have to drop the front end of the oil pan or not? What brand/type chain and gears did you get? Thanks
You just have to un-do the 4 bolts that are holding the cover to the pan but you don't have to drop the pan at all. The timing set is a Cloyes double roller chain. I didn't want to put a Ford Motorsport multi index timing set on it as that would have been a waste. I have used this set on engines for a long time and never had an issue.

Matt