Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Default SSP Plans for the Winter?

So who will be working on their SSP(s) over the winter to get them ready for 2012? If you're so inclined, please share with the group what you have on your To-Do List. Here's mine:
  • I've begun the cleaning/sanding/priming/painting of my engine compartment. It really is quite a mess, but I will get it back into shape in the next few weeks.
  • I have a freshly rebuilt 5.0L engine that's ready to be installed. It's a roller motor, with .030-over pistons, ported iron E7 heads, and a Comp Cams 266HR camshaft. I will retain the original intake manifold and Holley carb. It should be a fairly stock motor with a smooth idle, but slightly improved performance due to the better breathing heads.
  • I need to figure out which 10" clutch to install (leaning towards the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch). The really isn't much of a selection unless I swap over to a 86-up parts configuration.
  • Inside the car, I plan to install the CHP equipment, and install a hidden FM radio so I can have some music while driving.
  • Finally, after installing the smaller 10" front brakes the car originally came with, I plan to reunite my SSP with the correct wheels and center caps.

So what are you planning to do this winter?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM

1. 87 WSP car is finishing paint in a few weeks. On the fence with selling it as-is or going the distance and putting the partition & gear back in before sale.

2. Twin to car above - 2nd 87 WSP - headed in for paint/resto. Have all the parts & decals to finish it for show season

3. 85 CHP - thinking of dropping it off with the Fox Shoppe to fully go through the car (paint/body/engine ring out). But...this is all depending on finances and timing.

Will see how this all goes.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
...Gathering Parts

The ISP Mustang is currently getting all the necessary mechanical work done on it. I plan on getting it to the body shop possibly before the end of the year or early next year. I'm figuring to remove all the interior components and get that part straightened out before the vehicle is reassembled.... and that's the plan for the SSP. The other cars also have plans too.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM

The 2nd Minnesota State Patrol SSP will be getting new shocks, struts, and quads, as the ride quality has diminished significantly with 135k miles on the factory installed units. In the 2 weeks since I found this SSP I have already replaced all the hoses, weather stripping (doors and trunk), oil pan gasket set, tail pipes, windshield, dash speaker covers, AOD shifter bezel, coil cover, plug wires, intake plate, ash tray spring, AM/FM radio, wheels/tires, as well as dealt with trunk lip rust, and removed the aftermarket sound system wiring and 6 non-factory speakers. I will also try to remove the rattle can spray paint mess in the engine bay (bright silver intake and dark blue valve covers).

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew