Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Default 1992 Charleston County SSP

Here's the car:
VIN Project - 1992 Charleston County SSP

Thought I'd post a thread about what I'm doing with this car. Bought it back in 2002 from a guy in East Tennessee. It was already painted this "Viper Blue" and had a Cobra Intake, 3.55 gears, and chrome pony wheels. Torque boxes were shot, so that was first order of business...reinforced them inside and out, with 1/4" plates welded underneath.

Added 24# injectors, MAF, and a set of Holley aluminum heads. Backed it up with an Xpipe and Dynomax cat-back. Stuck a small cam off in it too so it sounds nice. Traded my chrome pony wheels for a 5 lug kit and Weld Prostars as shown. Drove it like this literally for about 10 years without issue.

The poor car must have at least 300k miles on it, and was burning about a quart every 2 weeks. When the water pump gasket started leaking, I decided to go ahead and just do a fresh engine in it. Got some DSS flat tops, a NOS Ford crank (stumbled upon this), and a set of SCAT bushed rods with ARP bolts. Should be a healthy little powerplant:

'79 5.0 LX (Aug '78 build)
'86 5.0 LX
'89 5.0 GT
'92 SSP Charleston County, SC
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM

Nice car. How was the car originally painted when in-service?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Nice car. How was the car originally painted when in-service?
Per Bill Jr. (28HopUp), here is the paint code:

K3 = Bimini Blue Met./Bimini Blue Metallic. You can see the blue where they taped up the decal here:

Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 AM

Rare and great color. Car looks great but too bad previous owner wasn't digging the Bimini.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Yea. I may just sand it back down and redo it in correct color. It's all still bimini under the hood. Needs paint anyway.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the update on your SSP. Now being a resident of Charleston County, I do find this car interesting. Do you have any clue as to HOW the county used your car? There is a County Sheriff Department here, but the car could have been used in ANY capacity by the county. I will let you know if I ever learn anything at the County Building about your car. Please keep the updates coming.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:26 PM

No idea Bill. I do recall doing a carfax when I got it. If I recall, it left Charleston, went into service in some capacity in Georgia, and then was a servce car in Tennessee...something tells me it was at a college but was a while back when I looked. Somewhere along the way, the thing must've seen the drag strip because the torque boxes were ripped up pretty badly.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:41 PM

I thought that I would bump this thread now that our son has been hired as a Deputy for the Charleston County Sheriff's Office. I know the OP has not logged on here since the beginning of 2018, so I may have to reach out to him another way.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I thought that I would bump this thread now that our son has been hired as a Deputy for the Charleston County Sheriff's Office. I know the OP has not logged on here since the beginning of 2018, so I may have to reach out to him another way.
That's awesome! Tell him congratulations.

I'd love to see updates on this car as well.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 AM

I realize this is 3 years old, and probably nobody will look at this, BUT the DSO on this car is consecutively right after mine. Mine being 21 0599