Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 PM

That would be appreciated more than you will ever know, Steve. This just ramped up the excitement 100x.

I'm in contact with the former driver of my Colorado State Patrol Camaro and it would be great if I could find out more information on the '82 CHP and maybe find it's driver.
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Default Visit to Motor Transport

Hello Everyone and happy July 4th!

Today I was able to stop in at CHP Motor Transport during business hours. I go right by it twice a week, but almost always late at night. What I was looking for was any help or information on identifying the early Mustangs. I identified myself and the staff there was very friendly and helpful. Robert Reed was not there, and neither was the person who maintains a filing system of cards for vehicles. So what I was able to find out:

1. CHP has a Fleet management system that is computerized, but it goes back only 11 years. Couldn't help me there.
2. We put in a call to DMV in Sacramento, but their records only go back 8 years for vehicles that are no longer registered or Non-operation notified.
3. DMV has a historical office in Sacramento that was once able to help Dick Clark (the celebrity) get info on a vehicle from the 1950s.

So I'll go back again when Robert Reed and the other guy are there and see what I can do. Then I'll head to the DMV historical office. Mike, I will be looking for 0559 info also, and Wolfe, next time I go by the Los Banos area office I'll stop in there and do some research for you.

One more thing: it has been mentioned somewhere here that the current ex-CHP vehicles are really not worth buying because they are thrashed. That is so true; if you were thinking about a run out Crown Vic, forget it. There is no longer any set mileage for turning in vehicles, now they drive them until they fall apart. I saw about a dozen of them sitting in the sale lot, and they sure looked like it. About the only thing they looked to be useful for is taxicabs in Tijuana.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Admin

Thanks Steve...we definitely appreciate the help! Happy 4th to you as well.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Yes, thanks, Steve!! It's a start and any progress is good. I'll be glad to get any information from Los Banos that I can.

Happy Fourth!

Greg
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Steve, thanks for taking the time to stop into Motor Transport in your search for historical documentation on the CHP Mustangs. I hope that you can connect with Robert Read on your next visit. Your efforts (and stories) are very much appreciated.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM

I will pm you the particulars on my 1982 also to see if you can find anything for me too.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Default Another Story

Just got back into the San Jose Area after a long July 4th weekend (lots and lots of guests, BBQed all weekend) so before I hit the rack I thought it might be time for another story.

I was working Graveyard shift one weeknight in the Los Banos area with a partner. In those days, Los Banos had only one unit to cover the entire area on Graveyard shift, and as were all CHP Graveyard units, it was a 2-man unit. Being it was such a huge area to cover, and only one car, you would never have time to check all the beats. So the focus would be on checking the 70-mile stretch of Interstate 5 that was in the LB area, responding to radio calls, and as for all Graveyard units, looking for drunk drivers. Except that on I5 there were never many drunks. Especially during the week, it was mostly just truck traffic.

So we're checking the beat, going S/B on I5 from State Route 152 about 15 miles S/of 152, in the #2 lane at 75 MPH, when suddenly another vehicle comes flying up behind us, gets on our bumper, and stays there. I was driving a marked unit, a Dodge Diplomat, with a light bar, black and white paint, decals, everything. So I figure this is a motorist trying to get our attention, probably to report an emergency up the road somewhere. I'm waiting for flashing high-beams, or anything, to indicate this. Not that we're excited about pulling over in the middle of nowhere and having another vehicle pull in behind us, in a tactically very disadvantageous position. But it happens.

But this one just stayed there, on our bumper, nothing else. So I accelerated to 85. He stayed right with us. I slowed down to 55. He stayed on our bumper. Now we're getting interested; this is either someone who is very seriously impaired, or he's got something very bad planned. By this time we were getting close to Panoche Road, the last gas exit for 40 miles or so. The exit goes to a large, well-lighted area with several all-night gas stations and some restaraunts. This was a good place to exit and see what happened. As we exited sure enough the other vehicle followed. As we turned onto Panoche road I suddenly swerved to the right and onto a large paved shoulder area just to see what the other driver did. My partner had the shotgun; we're ready for anything that may happen.

Then the other vehicle passed by and the solo white male driver never even looked over at us, appearing to not even be aware that we were there. He pulled into a gas station and stopped at the pumps, exiting his vehicle as we pulled in behind and lit him up. As you may have already guessed, the driver was very intoxicated. He had never even noticed he was tailgaiting a marked patrol car and in fact did not see us as he passed by. For his lack of perception and attention to detail, plus violation of CVC 23152(a), he was provided with complimentary lodging in the Los Banos city jail for the night.

The story was unusual enough so after the arrest report was reviewed everyone knew about it. For the next month or so we heard, over and over again: "You guys can't even find any drunks, so they have to find you?"
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM

This reminds me of that episode of Real Stories Of The Highway Patrol where the officer witnessed someone overtaking him from behind at night, then matching his speed. He sped up and slowed down in the same manner as you, then pulled over to let the car go by. He pulled back out, made the traffic stop and wrote her a ticket. She was NOT drunk, as I recall. Just not too bright. LOL
Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Smile Progress Made

Last Friday I stopped in again at CHP Motor Transport and talked with Robert Read. With his help I was able to get the assignment card for 870255, which has the VIN number (and it is accurately listed in the VIN database area of this site) plus the history, sales price, all relevant dates, color painted (blue) and other info. So now I have enough info to start the search in earnest.

I was also able to get the assignment card for NoDrama43's '82, which I will be sending to him next week.

So a huge thank you to Robert Read!

Now this is getting more interesting. I thought I had hit a brick wall but a door opened up.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM

That's great news, Steve. That would be so awesome to reunite you with your car. And cudos for finding another '82 assignment card. Yours, Jim's and mine exist...anyone else?? Mike's is out there somewhere.

Best of luck in your search.