Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
No, Florida. My 70 Colorado car never had a lock of rust until I moved to Florida and then it blew up with it. The humidity eats metal alive.
I was waiting for Tom's explanation but it never showed.

I think you might be right. I mean...even the little rock chips on the hood started getting rust in them. I took care of it, but I was amazed. The car had been sitting in a barn untouched for over 10 years and those nicks/scratches had been there for a long time without rust.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 AM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

I like them both but survivors are more interesting to me. Why, well, years down the road, when it goes through several hands, survivor cars will show everything, where as restored units could have had major problems hidden. Just my thought on it. A survivor Muscle car normally brings more money than a repaint. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPGARY View Post
I'm going to leave the car " as is " for this year and restore it next winter once I have all the parts. I just can't live with all the battle scars! Thanks for the opinions.

Gary
There's your answer then. If it is something that will constantly bother you about the car, then you need to fix it when the time is right.

Personally, I love both kinds of SSP's - restored (to in-service condition or as an unmarked) and survivor cars. But my preference is for survivor cars. They have the most character IMO (I love the FHP cars in their post-auction paint scheme). A car is only original once, even if it is showing battle scars. But that sentiment cannot be applied to all SSP's. Some deserve to be restored to their in-service condition, and others NEED to be restored before their condition deteriorates further (as was the case with my CHP #8395, which required work to keep it functional).

It's all a matter of personal preference. We are the caretakers of these cars while we own them, so enjoy them how you best see fit.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
That's one of the reasons why I haven't painted my '93 FHP. I wouldn't do a complete resto on it anyway, since it's so clean underneath, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything with the paint (yet).

The Colorado car is very much the same; you can still see the outlines where the door numbers were. One good wax job and those are gone. However, due to the surface rust forming on the underside of the car, I'm going to end up doing the whole thing. The funny part is that none of "new" rust was there prior to the car being in FL.

It really deserves the full treatment anyway, so I have no reason to complain.
Your '93 was exactly the car that I was thinking of. I would never paint it. Look at all the attention the unrestored Hertz Shelby got at Barber. It was in everyone's pictures.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Original gets my vote, but who doesn't like a quality resto? I personally like seeing what time has done to a car....unless time includes re-paints, collisions, rust, etc. My funds are dictating what my car is going to look like for the time being, but I really do love my old, faded, original B/W paint. I scare everyone in the neighborhood when I drive it around. What did the Hertz at Barber look like?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
What did the Hertz at Barber look like?
I assume this is it.
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mus...s/image54.html
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mus...s/image55.html
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/mustang45th/
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/