Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Default What's going on?

Allot of SSP's being sold lately. Is it the economy, people losing interest, flippers? Cars are always changing hands, it just seems way more in the past few months.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Part of it is probably the economy.
Some is to use funds to restore other SSP's.
Hopefully the new owners are members or will become members.
Seems like a few of the cars that have sold recently have been lost.
It's nice to know if there are other ssp owner's that you might see local or at a show.

1986 FHP 0293
1990 7 UP Conv.
1994 Pace Car
2007 Shelby GT
2012 GT/CS
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Bernie,

I've observed more nice or completed cars for sale than in the past. There have been a decent number of restored or nice original SSP cars for sale lately. Cars that sell or are advertised for $10K up. I would say that very well could be due to the economy as people need to free up funds for other uses that better fit their family needs at this time. I know that was the reason I was able to purchase the OSP Saleen Mustang I purchased in November from its longterm owner.

The number of rough or unrestored SSP's (heavily modified and or not) seems to me to be about the same. These cars always seem to be available in quantity. I think that this type of car has taken a major hit price wise since the price of the nice or restored cars for sale lately have been so reasonable. Let's face it, given the cost of restoration, parts and labor, you could be given for free most of the rough or modified cars that are available and still not be able to restore the cars to the level of the nice cars available right now for sale.

If a persons budget can stand it, I think is an excellent time to buy a nicely restored or nice original SSP. In relation to the cost of parts, labor and restoration, most of the nice cars available today look cheap in my mind!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Here is another reason: I just lost my job yesterday and am contemplating selling my SSP, which I just acquired in June! But I think that I will wait till I get rid of my convertible first. But it's been up for sale since August with very few nibbles to speak of. Hopefully this will be a short temperary situation. That said, anybody in the Detroit area hiring? Even though I'm a pilot by trade, I won't be too picky right now.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Admin

Sorry to hear that, Toshi. What were you flying? Good luck in your job search, and I hope you can keep your SSP, too.

There does seem to be alot of flipping going on, but I think that some of the movement is just some of the same people buying and selling back and forth because they've changed their minds, changed priorities, or just like doing it.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Sorry to hear that, Toshi. What were you flying? Good luck in your job search, and I hope you can keep your SSP, too.

There does seem to be alot of flipping going on, but I think that some of the movement is just some of the same people buying and selling back and forth because they've changed their minds, changed priorities, or just like doing it.

Mike....in another car community i know of? we sometimes have weasels that infiltrate the group
pretend to be a (great car guy buddy) but all they want is to do is
flip your car or parts because it's all about them.

... Last year i sold a car that i had for over 18 years
I restored it kept it nice and thought i was selling it to a fellow collector....and in less then 18 days
He flipped it....I suspected that he would do this so i asked him what his intentions were and he assured
me that he loved the car and was keeping it. as far as this community goes I think were all about the CARS
here ....but as these cars increase in popularity their will be people that will see easy money......

I have attended the Barret Jackson auction every year since 1975 and was
at the auction Thursday
people prices vendors selling/showing of products and Cars.....ALL way
off from recent years past.
.....sorry to hear about your job Toshi.hang in and remember that it's family and friends first
the rest of this is just stuff.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Whats the picture of the man with the arrow pointing at hiom about??
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Mike....in another car community i know of? we sometimes have weasels that infiltrate the group
pretend to be a (great car guy buddy) but all they want is to do is
flip your car or parts because it's all about them.
I think I remember you telling me about that car (and that guy). That's too bad.

I think you just have to be really careful, if you decide to part with a car or some particularly rare parts that you care about, because there are people out there that will take advantage. Even so, with some you just never know. Then again, there are some who believe that once you sell something, it's really no business of yours where it goes, but I guess that's another issue entirely.

I've sold some pretty hard to find parts to members, only to see them flipped. I still think that I've helped out far more people than have sold the stuff, so it's all good. I do find it humorous, though, when someone shows up and expects to find a really rare part, like a complete CHP radio system as an example, after only looking for a few months. It took me several years to find the ones I did, and others who live in CA still haven't been able to track any down.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM

I've sold a few of my cars lately because I get bored of them once restored. I enjoy the hunt for a new car and the restoration process. Once complete I purchase another SSP and the process repeats itself.
2008 P71
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM

i agree also partly due to the economy and partly due to people flipping cars, but they are the obvious ones.

i myself get sick of cars quickly and like variety. i think finding the car and hunting down all the right parts is the fun part.

probably if i follow through and finish my 91 fhp it'll be a keeper.
wish i didn't sell my pa car last summer, but i wanted an extra equity cushion until my old house sold.

andy hit the nail on the head where it seems the flippers try and infiltrate the group to be everyones buddy then sell the car and vanish.

one of the ones that was for sale recently, i asked the guy a question about his alternator and never got a response back. another member asked the same seller for info on his cars rear tape stripe and never got a response....the car sold and i bet we'll never hear from that person again.