Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2023, 01:09 AM

Question TX DPS interior equipment questions

Ok, so a I’ve looked over the TX Agency Specific Restoration docs on here MANY times, as well as the “Romans TX DPS” hyperlink and many online images of TX DPS SSP’s (the in-service pics and civilian resto jobs).

My question is this - 1993 specific only - in this widely known Tom Mallette image of a 93 DPS while in-service, it seems to be the only image I can find anywhere on the net that shows the interior of a true in-service 93 DPS with the dash equipment. Due to the image quality, it’s very hard to make out the exact equipment, however I can make out the Code 3 Arrowstik switch box mounted vertically. I can also make out the top dash mounted radar box as well as the actual radar antenna when making them image lighter.

My questions are:
1) Can anyone identify the radar box and front radar antenna by this image? I read in the Agency specific resto doc on here that later TX DPS units had a “BEE Model 36” radar system. However when looking up that exact model, it is definitely NOT the unit in the interior of this in-service 93 DPS unit. Even though this image is not very clear, one can tell that the size and front face of the radar box in this in-service 93 is definitely NOT a BEE 36 at all. A BEE 36 does not have a front port on the left fascia for what appears to be either for the remote cable OR the actual front mount antenna…. In the image, there is definitely a front left port with cable on that radar box.

2) Is that unit possibly a “Decatur” radar system? In the TX Agency resto docs, it is mentioned that the DPS had used Decatur systems. In “Roman’s DPS” hyperlink, he has a Decatur that he used in his resto, but his radar box also has a totally different front face and no port on the left side. His Decatur is also brown and the radar antenna looks different too, like it predates 1993. I have looked various other BEE, MPH, Kustom Signals, and Stalker models and none look like the radar box in the in-service pic.

Any help is appreciated.

I’m finding quite a few discrepancies with the TX Agency resto docs and Romans resto when focusing on a 1993 specific TX units. Not putting down Romans resto, but when compared to the true in-service pics found online for 1993’s, that restoration can’t be used as a base or model for those trying to restore 93 back to 93 DPS in-service specs.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP