Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Question TRX Handling Package Question

Hello,
I found a ton of information in books, Google, this site about the TRX package; But because no TRX package was the same, there are a few grey areas. But most of those things don’t matter to much.

My question here is about the rear shocks. This maybe not even a TRX upgrade, but maybe we can figure this one out. My rear shock looks to have a coilover setup. It has a shock like normal, with a coil spring slipped over it. It doesn’t look like a current rear coil over, maybe an old 80's version? I'm trying to figure out some details about the coilover. Maybe it's not a coilover, but just a knock off coilover that adds some extra support??

Down the road here, I will be replacing the shocks/struts. I would love to reuse the coilover setup in the rear if I can. One thing I know about the 84 Mustang was, it was the last year of TRX package car to be made. The next year in 85, the GT package was created and some of the TRX equipment was carried over and some of it wasn’t.

Also the 87-93 Mustangs had their spindles changed, control arm, other stuff?
I plan on replacing the front suspension with the 87-93 parts to accept the newer struts, but is the shocks different too? I do have an 7.5" rearend, so the mounting points would be different. But will swapping an 8.8 solve all my problems? The 87-93 upgrade would be a step before a 5 lug conversion from the junkyard.

Quote:
Sorry, for direct bolt-in replacements there is not much choice for the first years of the Fox chassis Mustang. •Performance struts do not mate to the first generation Fox Mustang spindle.
Solution: swap to 1987-93 V8 spindles (or SN95 spindles) and brakes, and choose struts from the 1987-93 V8 group. See the spindle tech section for swap information.
•Performance shocks do not fit the OEM mounting on the 7.5" axle housing.
Solution: install MM rear lower shock mounts, and choose shocks from the 1987-93 V8 group.
I will go take a picture so you can see what I see.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM

It looks like the 8.8 is basically a direct swap.
The break line can be used from the 7.5 on the 8.8, people say.
The 8.8 line will need to be extended, or v8 8.8 break lines can be swapped (really don't want to do this!).

My 7.5 came with quad shocks, first year.
Will a mustang with factory 7.5" rear that has quad shocks; Will the quad shocks fit on the 8.8? I have a 90 mustang in the garage (roommates) I can compair.
I'm not sure if I will be able to visually see.
I think I'll measure where the plate is mounted to the body, see if its in the same spot.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

You basically have the info for what you want.
Newer 87-93 suspension should bolt right in, might need a newer K member.
I do not believe SSP's had TRX suspension. One thing I do know that the TRX had was hopper bars.

Why do you want to swap to newer suspension and 5 lug? You basically kill the value of the car, even if you paint it black and white and add all the equipment. You wouldn't be able to use the original steel wheels for a correct look either.

Your 84 looks pretty nice. Running and driving, fairly original, I'd say you could get 2k out of it. I would not modify the car. 84's are one of the rarer years now, maybe less than 10 exist that are known? You could sell this car to someone who wants to restore it, and take that money and use it on a newer non SSP coupe. That's what I would do.

It is your car though, you can do as you wish. I just like to see these cars restored instead of modified.

Just the way I am. Your car is about the 6th 84 I've seen so far.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM

True.

But drum brakes are garbage. I've already had a few rear tire lockups when under heavy breaking. If anything it's a safety improvement.

I don't want to make the mustang a weekend show car, but get some use on the road and be seen.

If the car was still in service (the Highway Patrol doing the modifications) why wouldn’t they upgrade to rear discs? Not to mention the 87-93 suspension is a great improvement too.

But you bring up a major question I have in relation to this.
What kind of laws and problems would I face painting it black/white and having special service equipment in the car?
I would think cops would stop you often, and may even question your right to be driving the car?

I know the decals can be magnets and removed, but other then that it still looks like a cop car and could be seen as impersonation?

Maybe it can be registered as historical vehicle with no registration for life? Hell if I know.

Maybe someone can shed some light on that?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
VIN guru

There were "TR Handling Suspension" (through '84 for Mustang and '85 for Capri) and "Handling Suspension" (called "Special Handling" after '84)packages, and they included additonal items to, or replacement items in, the 'regular' suspension. One example of an "additional item" that the 'regular' suspension did not have but the TR and Handling packages did would be a rear stabilizer bar. The TR package was standard on the '79 Pace Car, '79-81 Cobra, '81-'83 Black Magic, and '83 Crimson Cat and optional on everything else. The Handling package was included/required/mandatory with the turbocharged four-cylinder and the eight-cylinders.

Both packages had their own specific struts and shocks, front and rear stabilizer bar diameters, and front and rear spring rates. I can list the specifics of each package's stabilizar bars diameters and spring rates, if need be. Each package had "slapper bar" (through mid-'84) or Quadra-Shock rear suspension (mid-'84 and later). The TR package also required/included forged metric aluminum ("TRX") wheels and Michelin TRX tires.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Arrow

Well I do have quad shocks, and a rear sway bar; Which wasn't common for that year, I believe. I'm sure when the CHP orders the SSP, it would come fully loaded in the suspension dept..
I could measure the sway bars and see if I can read some info on the shock/struts. Then post the data here for you to reference.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 AM
VIN guru

Rear sway bar was part of the Handling Package and TR Handling Package. Quadra-Shock rear suspension was part of the Handling Suspension package and TR Handling Package starting in mid '84. ALL Capri and Mustang coupes, convertibles, and hatchbacks with a 2.3T or 5.0L engine had the Handling Package.

The SSP had the same suspension parts that "civilian" 5.0L coupes (and convertibles and hatchbacks) had. SSPs did not get additional or "special" suspension parts.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 AM

No TR package was the same, you could order it anyone you wanted.
The GT package had a standard list of parts. It was nothing that a civilian couldn't get, but did a civilian order it fully loaded with a ford service plan?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM
VIN guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
No TR package was the same, you could order it anyone you wanted.
Negative. The TR package had a standard list of parts. You did not get to pick and choose which parts of the package that you did or did not want or wanted to substitute. Only the load rating of the springs and the valving of the struts and shocks changed, and that was due to different weights of TR package-equipped cars, i.e. different bodies, engines, transmissions, and options, it was not do to customer choice of what TR-package parts they wanted.

Quote:
The GT package had a standard list of parts. It was nothing that a civilian couldn't get, but did a civilian order it fully loaded with a ford service plan?
Ford ESP has nothing to do with suspension packages so I don't understand what you're asking.

Quote:
That is not a factory setup but I guess you already know that.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 AM

the suspension might be a cheap ebay one and if you are trying to prevent lock ups by going to discs it still can lock up due to no abs, until 1994 when the mustangs got the sn95 platform that came with disc brakes ABS and 5 lug
typhoon intake, bbk cold air intake, professional products 70tb and egr
c&L 73mm mass air