Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM

As a bit of a diversion the LS slot that I am in on is School Bus Yellow.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 PM

I equally have been thinking of liquidating some of my fleet to go for a '13 Boss in "Gotta Have it Green" Tempting.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
...Gathering Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
this car... only 130 built for 2010. Rarest color of them all. I guess that means it was the least desired color?? I like it though.
I also like that one. However, it is important to preserve and restore historical vehicles... just ask me, I'll tell you!

So now that I've gotten a SSP, gone to get the mechanicals done on my car, brakes, and exhaust and just visited the body shop, why are you guys all jumping ship????

Was it something I said??
Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 AM

I'm still here

I hope to have mine painted by the end of May - early June.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM

not jumping ship, just reducing from 13 SSP cars to possibly 7 or 8. Not sure if or when I will even start the process. The cars are all stored under cover in a climate controlled environment so they are not rotting, or costing me anything.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
I know I am going to get slammed for this...
Not at all - we would never do that!

I think Ford is doing a great job with the new '13 Mustangs. With a major revamp on the horizon for the 50th anniversary, Ford could have easily kept the status-quo until the revised cars roll out. The new Boss(es) and GT500 are killer cars, no doubt. A "base" GT with that awesome 5.0L is an extremely capable Mustang. Even the 3.7L V6 can run 13-sec ET's with a few bolt-ons. Prices on used S197 Mustangs are getting quite reasonable as well. These are good times indeed, boys!

Buying and selling SSP's (and related cars) are all part of the hobby. I will be picking up an interesting Mustang police car next week. But instead of selling my SSP to make room for it, we're gonna sell our 2012 5-door Focus SE instead. This hobby is just too much fun to get out now!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM

All the new stangs are super pretty but i will never buy a new one.

I can buy 4 or 5 cars for what that one car costs.

Cars are not made the same as before. The new mustang is alot of plastics or composite parts which i hate. I like the metal cars.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texunter View Post
Cars are not made the same as before. The new mustang is alot of plastics or composite parts which i hate. I like the metal cars.
To illustrate this point, a member on a Mustang forum posted up pictures after the recent storms in the midwest. His two Mustangs were parked in the driveway during a hail storm. The side and top portions of his S197 Mustang were peppered with dings, but his 90ish Mustang GT was undamaged despite being subjected to the same weather. Not that Fox Mustangs were great vehicles in their time (quality wise), but it shows that they don't build 'em like they yoosta.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
...Gathering Parts

The Government won't let them "make them like they yoosta"...

Currently, the use of new generation stronger tensile strength steel is being made to "ding" by thinning it out over the previously made Mustangs. The current vehicles are far better on humans in case of said accidents as they transmit the force of impact through to structural members and people have the misconception that these cars are weaker since they ding up. They simply are made to comply with ever increasing Government crash and fuel economy standards that keep getting pushed higher and higher into the stratosphere of absurdity. There are far more metal components that are present in the current Mustang that the composite comment doesn't hold water. The main plastic on the cars is the front bumper cover and the rear facia and rear bumper cover to be perfectly honest, that is the same as the Mustangs from the late 80's on. The hood and trunk lid are not steel but aluminum to lighten up the weight, still a metal component not plastic.

With the ever increasing standards of zero waste, the metal of these cars is highly recyclable as are many of the other components in the car making this even more "environmentally" friendly. Did I mention the gas economy is improving? You now have a 400+HP car that gets over 20 mpg and a 300+HP car that gets close to the 40 mpg mark!... not bad for a performance car no?

See... they are not making like they yoosta and that may not be a bad thing!!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM

I think this is all just an excuse
so you don't have to work on your old cars.
the medical term for this is OCGT
or Old Car Guy Tired syndrome
You see it allot in the Corvette community.
and now i see it spreading to the Mustang Clubs.
usually starts as an excuse to buy a new
or recently released model. But the idea of
power windows and AC that works is the lore
then after the car show or event attended... you can
just go home and not have to fix anything that broke
Take your nap...watch Jeopardy or the Price is Right
or what ever.