Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM
1991 Retired Govt. SSP

Default Auto Trans Upgrade

I don't know if this is the right place but I have an auto trans equipped '91 and I had the rear main done at my friends transmission shop. I asked him to check the trans over while he had it out because it would shift to overdrive by 35 miles per hour... Well they installed a new stock a.o.d. valve body and let me tell you guys what an improvement. He explained to me that Ford revised the unit when too many people complained about the quick to shift to overdrive and the chugging. I will tell you this it shifts like it has a shift kit and it has no problems chirping 2nd now. Before it felt like I was towing a house... Now it wants to go!! Anyway thanks for all your support..
Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 AM

I had a '90 LX convertible w/an AOD. I never experienced that as you discribed. It was my first Mustang AOD and later I found that the trans ate itself due to the TVS cable being disconnected. I had seen it hanging there in the engine bay, but had no idea as to what it was... Then it was too late. I had the trans rebuilt w/a performance shift kit and loved it!

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
1991 Retired Govt. SSP

I will tell you that I asked him to put a shift kit in my car but the valve body he put in the car is completly stock an boy does it shift great now!! If I didn't know better I would swear it had a race car shift kit... I had to call him after I got it home to see exactly what he did. But you are right about the cable. I owned a '88 Crown Vic with a Mustang engine that ate its trans in about 40 miles after the cable disconnected.... That was an expensive education.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadair View Post
I had a '90 LX convertible w/an AOD. I never experienced that as you discribed. It was my first Mustang AOD and later I found that the trans ate itself due to the TVS cable being disconnected. I had seen it hanging there in the engine bay, but had no idea as to what it was... Then it was too late. I had the trans rebuilt w/a performance shift kit and loved it!
The clip is plastic and were known for breaking causing the cable to come unhooked and cooking the trans....they came out with a revised one.

2001 BMW 325i Sport 5spd - daily driver

1996 F150 XLT 4x4 beater truck
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsblk93gt View Post
The clip is plastic and were known for breaking causing the cable to come unhooked and cooking the trans....they came out with a revised one.
Yep. Had that new type installed after the repair.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)