Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
When I lived in FL, I remember seeing two black and tan, clearly out of service, SSP's. I never really understood how the state could enforce that law when the state put the car into public hands in those colors.
florida has been spray bombing, or bed lining tan roofs for years now. They "recolor" it with black (terrible job). Some of the bed liner crap they apply is with a roller.....

bottom line is that if you restore/repaint your car black and tan, put FHP decals all over it and then try to drive it down to the car show at wally world you are eventually going to have a bad day. If I lived in Florida the ONLY way I would transport an FHP car would be in an enclosed trailer.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 AM

I would just spray some "auction like" squiggles of black plastidip on the tan to prevent any issues.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 PM

I am from indiana & was told today that I could not drive a FHP with the 2 tone paint on it. Anyone from Indiana or familiar with Indiana law in regards to this??
Old 08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Default re fhp car

i live in pa i have a fhp car fully functioning fhp colors i havent had any issues here but i did check with the state police in n j before i took it there aslong as the state trooper is covered and the lites can be made not to work by a fuse being pulled out and a out of service sign on it im good to drive it in nj or most states call the state poice and ask them is your best bet if you do all this they cant really say much but if you do get pulled over being polite
Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastie85gt View Post
i live in pa i have a fhp car fully functioning fhp colors i havent had any issues here but i did check with the state police in n j before i took it there aslong as the state trooper is covered and the lites can be made not to work by a fuse being pulled out and a out of service sign on it im good to drive it in nj or most states call the state poice and ask them is your best bet if you do all this they cant really say much but if you do get pulled over being polite
Thank you! Just got an email back from the state & they said with the lights & police marking covered up I would be ok.

Just hope when I get one I don't run into that county officer. However, my next email will be to the county for approval.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 PM

For what it's worth...

I spoke with a good lawyer friend of mine who has made his living for the last 30 years dealing with motor vehicle cases.

His thoughts on the FL statute were simply that the state reserves the right to drop the hammer on you if you are using a vehicle to mislead someone or for other nefarious means.

He specifically mentioned functioning lights on a car painted black & tan as being a huge beacon for the FHP (or any other Florida agency). However, he cited several examples of private citizens, who he personally knows, who own restored police vehicles (going back to the 40's), who use them for the specific intent of parades & to bring awareness to organizations like DARE, Crimeline, etc.

The way he made it sound, it sounded to me like it would be something they would take on to an arrest/other charges to compound the crime/violation.

Just some food for thought.

If someone wants to pay for a new paint job for me, I'll be happy to test the theory, as I feel confident in my legal representation.